New Koji-kin?

Anyone know anything about this:

http://store.organic-cultures.com/ojspstwko12g.html

Actually pulled the trigger to try them out.

John

It arrived safe and sound. And fast. Nice looking, but the real test will be how it works.

The picture shows a little dark, but it’s a nice deep green.

[attachment=0]koji-kin.jpg[/attachment]

I’m going to test it out with some 60% Atika Komachi that is due tomorrow.

It’s probably a little of everything (rice, steaming, resting, tray, temperature (93-95 F), but this is by far the best looking Koji I’ve produced yet, and the best behaving. No wide temperature swings into the 100’s.

A toji I was speaking with suggested a cedar tray, lined with mesh (soaked in water one hour), for the 2nd half of the incubation. Basically as a way to reduce the humidity content gradually. Have to say it worked great.

I was a little nervous about it going to spore and pulled it at about 42 hours. Looks like I had nothing at all to worry about. I have a small amount left in the incubator to spore and at 72 hours it is even more heavily covered with mycelium but no sign of sporing. Still bring white. :smiley:

[attachment=0]Tray 2.jpg[/attachment]

Nice job on the Koji John! I haven’t heard about soaking the cedar tray before. Did you use just plain tap water for that?

-MPFbrewer

Thanks!

Even thought cedar is anti-microbial, I put it into water at 180 F and let it cool. Nothing seems worse the ware and it makes me feel better. And also quickly ‘extracted’ some of that very strong cedar essence. Although I love cedar, I’m not sure about cedar sake. I recall reading at some point about a toji commenting about their koji room having been nearly built of cedar, but used per-maturely, and the result was a sake with a hint of cedar.

So, yes to ‘just tap’ water, but I’m modify and say it was hot, boiled tap water. It’s a habit for all my brewing water to boil and cool it for the sake of chlorine removal.