New Interesting Project

First off, I belong to a medieval historical recreation organization called the Society For Creative Anachronisms (SCA). We study and recreate almost all aspects of life from a variety of different cultures from around the world prior to 1600AD. This, of course, means brewing. We are constantly in search of discovering the means and methods different beverages were brewed historically, and most of the brewers brew not only historically, but also modern brews, which are not that far apart in the basics of how they are done. I personally have done mead, sake, and hope to start brewing stouts and porters in the near future.

That being said, on to the main subject, recently, on one the SCA facebook brewing groups, Insulae Draconis Brewing Guild – SCA by name, one of the gentlemen posted an interesting historical reference:
“Some of the drinks mentioned by Friar William of Rubruck during his voyage to the mongol empire, served at the court of Karakorum “And from one of these pipes flows wine, from another cara cosmos, or clarified mare’s milk, from another bal, a drink made with honey, and from another rice mead, which is called terracina; and for each liquor there is a special silver bowl at the foot of the tree to receive it.”
Terracina or the rice mead I’ve been thinking how can I make that, so I’ve just started something that could be called that, I’ll see how it turns out.”

There is, of course now discussion on what would be the best way to try and make “rice mead”
I have put some thought into this and I think I have come up with a very “bare bones” basic method for combining the two brewing processes. However, I also thought this forum might find the subject interesting, and would have some input of their own. Awaiting your comments.

Kevin

Interesting. The Chinese were known to have been producing fermented beverages with honey, rice, and fruit since at least 7,000 BC. I wish you luck, but I think here
http://www.pnas.org/content/101/51/17593.long
would be a good place to start when trying to recreate such a thing.

This sums it up pretty nicely, I think:

Thanks Bob. I will pass this along to the gentleman conducting his experiment.

Kevin