New Hop Variety! Grüngeist (Germany)

I was was lucky enough to get my hands on some of these new hops and test them out. By the descriptions of them lemon, peach and passion fruit with a bit of floral essence. I decided to brew a Saison using them. The results were better than i expected so good that i had to order pound of them today. The Saison beer i brewed with them smells lemon soft floral tone like most noble german hop. Upon first taste lemon up front and turns to a peach flavor and passion fruit on the back note. Mixed with saison yeast and the hops complemented each other into a wonderful beer. If you get a chance to grab you some of this new variety i recommend it for a saison

4 Likes

I enjoy your description ! Sneezles61

1 Like

Do you think the hops would be better suited to a low, moderate, or high ABV brew? Or no difference?

Well the saison is 6.4% and works well in it. Im thinking tomorrow brewing german pilsner with them. Here is the profile of them Alpha Beta Cohumulone Total oils
3.46 8.49 20.20 1.20
I think they will work in alot of styles maybe not ipa being so low alpha. But in wheats and saison and pilsner i think they would work the best. But im still testing them out. But this Saison is something amazing with these hops.

4 Likes

Thank you sneezles

Me too. Mine would be something like “it’s good”.

I have yet to really nail a summer quaffer ale… This may be the hop for that! I will look for a half pound of this hop, and tuck away til later this winter… That would be a good time for tweaking a summer brew! Sneezles61

The way new German hops are going I think It’s time for a German IPA!

1 Like

Perhaps using some of their history… Herman the German? hhhmmm? Sneezles61

1 Like

Maybe some german IPL’S

1 Like

Well Damian, I have a brew up now that I dry hopped with this hop… I went small on this one. Its a nice sassy hop in the background… So, since I can’t say the name so well, I’ve named it “the glugmeister”.
This is a 10 gallon brew…
10 lbs pale malt
4 lbs flaked maize
2 lbs minute rice
I stomped my water down 50/50 with RO.
I used citric acid for pH correction
Herkules hops to the boil, 17.5% AA ,3/4oz
2 oz Super saazer at 4.3% AA 5 minutes
Dry hopped one, with Grungeist… The other without…
SG was at 1.046…

I just bottles 5 gallons and keged 5 gallons of a Czech amber few weeks ago the bottles are only grungiest and the keg is Saaz and grungiest. The name translated from German to English is green ghost.

2 Likes

As this one gets a bit further from the “greener” character, it is coming together… I will do more with this hop, but using a different grain bill, and yeast… Sneezles61

I love these hops. My Czech amber that I split 10 gallon and used Saaz and grungiest hops is wonderful. It’s alittle floral mild notes of spiciness from the Saaz giving way to the slightly peach on the palate. But what really surprised me is the other 5 gallons I used them alone in. Upon first sip it’s alittle dank hops up front in good way it’s floral almost like marijuana that fades into a peach stone fruit hop flavor that lingers for a bit on your palate. It’s hard to describe the dank marijuana taste from the hops and the bitterness and taste of peach all combined. It’s realy a wonderful beer with unique flavor from these hops

I get a, lemon-peach, flavor more than aroma… The hop is good… My grain bill is really lacking… More research with Grungeist… And I get to sample all those experiments!!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Thank you for the introduction to this hop! Sneezles61

How do you think this hop would be in an IPA. I’m thinking a single hop IPA bittered with magnum. FW, late additions and DH with Grungeist. Thanks for the translation damian. Wondered why it wasn’t in BS3 and it is as green ghost

I’ll call the IPA Dannyboy’s Grungy-ist IPA. Or maybe Grey Ghost. Everything around my neck of the woods is named after John Singleton Mosby, the Grey Ghost of the conferacy. I’ll send the green ghost after ole john’s racist arse…haha

1 Like

I’ve yet to try them in a IPA but i been thinking for awhile that i might use them in a NEIPA. I think they would work great.