New home brew system is the Keurig for craft beer

I saw this on a web site today. Not sure if this is awesome or crazy…

basic premise is you buy a “bag” of uncarbonated beer, load it into device that carbonates it, and you can exchange bags in and out.

I will say the one thing that stands out is the comment that they are aiming for a price point of about $1.00/bag. something seems off with that. $1.00 for a 1 gallon worth of beer? heck the keurig coffee pods are about $0.50/cup or so.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/07/ ... p=features

The $1 tab is for the price of the bag. I do wonder what a bar would charge to fill it…

Ya, it seems to essentially be a disposable 1 gal growler dispensed out of a mini-kegerator. They are one time use only and not reusable. On the kickstarter site it says they’ve teamed up with a bunch of breweries so I’m not sure if they’re planning to sell full “cartridges” or if they will simply sell the empty ones for you to fill at your leisure. Either way an intriguing concept, particularly if I could get an adaptor to hook it up to the kegerator for one offs. :wink:

:cheers:
Rad

At a price tag of $300 for the machine, it would take an awful lot of beer to save money over just buying bottles. That’s assuming you save any money at all. If you don’t actually save money, then I don’t really see any purpose for it other than to show off to your friends.

What they’re really selling you is a fountain drink dispenser, right? The same thing you have at any fast-food restaurant: bags of pre-made drink mixture that are carbonated and mixed on the fly.

I’m not sure I’d call this a “brewing” system of any kind. Nor can I find any compelling reason to use such a system, especially since you can already buy kegs and/or bottles, and either of those two options likely satisfy any of the needs that could be satisfied by such a system.

If you don’t enjoy the process of brewing beer just go and buy beer.

^^^^^^^
That.

I think the advantage is that it is relatively small, portable and allows the consumer to purchase smaller amounts. Gimmicky? Probably. I guess it depends on the cost of your favorite breweries beers. I won’t be buying one, but it should work just fine. “Brewing” it ain’t!

I see a couple benefits:

1. with the universal filler you can get any tap beer you want.
  2. it will stay fresh/carbed over time. A growler goes flat after opened
  3. its small footprint makes it easy to take places
  4. it keeps the beer cool. A growler needs a dedicated spot in coolet or has to stay in the fridge.
    With that said I do find the price a lil’ lofty. I don’t think its aimed directly at homebrewers and I don’t recall it making a claim that it brews.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]I see a couple benefits:

1. with the universal filler you can get any tap beer you want.
  2. it will stay fresh/carbed over time. A growler goes flat after opened
  3. its small footprint makes it easy to take places
  4. it keeps the beer cool. A growler needs a dedicated spot in coolet or has to stay in the fridge.
    With that said I do find the price a lil’ lofty. I don’t think its aimed directly at homebrewers and I don’t recall it making a claim that it brews.[/quote]

+1 all of the above. To clarify, it’s the fox news article that is inaccurately and deceptively calling it a “homebrew system”, the Synek webpage is very clear and calls it a “Draft System”. Fox news certainly did a poor job of research for the article. I looked into this a few weeks ago. It’s a counter-top kegerator, just like the Krups beertender except you can actually fill with your own or any beer. Pretty sweet actually. When the Krups came out I distinctly recall people on this and many other homebrew forums lamenting the fact that you couldn’t fill the 5 liter kegs with your own beer. This looks to be the answer to that. I might get one after they’re released and when the price comes down a bit.

yes it is not a home brew system, as much as a way to dispense beer from a bag with carbonation. Thing is if you are that in to different varieties of craft beer, almost every grocery store now a days has mix and match 6 packs.

I think it is a gimmick for those that want fresh draft beer with variety for various parties and such. not for me but who knows, some folks with some extra $$ might find it fun to have around

Yes, it is certainly a gimmick. But just sayin’, I sure as hell wish I had come up with that gimmick. Seems people will buy the dumbest things and I really need to find some dumb thing to start selling people.

Do you ever watch Shark Tank? Show on ABC where inventors come on and try to get various investors to give them $. I sit there for a whole hour for the most part going “Now why didn’t I think of that…”

This is the fishy part for me. Pretty sure that nice heady, well conditioned pint from the photo was not actually poured from the system in question.

Beer Soda is what I imagine you will get out of this thing.

Do you ever watch Shark Tank? Show on ABC where inventors come on and try to get various investors to give them $. I sit there for a whole hour for the most part going “Now why didn’t I think of that…”[/quote]

Yes. I have watched the show. My issue is a bigger one. I have LOADS of ideas that I believe would be great sellers. My problem is that with a house, a wife, and 2 children to support I don’t have the guts to put it on the line and go for broke pursuing the development of a potential great product. I don’t believe that you can run a business as a side job while still working your day job. So to actually be successful I think you need to pour all of your effort into it. And that is just something that I can’t do. So all of my awesome ideas just remain in my brain in hopes that someday when my childern are supporting themselves I can take the plunge and try.

Well that ain’t true. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90461&hilit=heineken

Do you ever watch Shark Tank? Show on ABC where inventors come on and try to get various investors to give them $. I sit there for a whole hour for the most part going “Now why didn’t I think of that…”[/quote]

Yes. I have watched the show. My issue is a bigger one. I have LOADS of ideas that I believe would be great sellers. My problem is that with a house, a wife, and 2 children to support I don’t have the guts to put it on the line and go for broke pursuing the development of a potential great product. I don’t believe that you can run a business as a side job while still working your day job. So to actually be successful I think you need to pour all of your effort into it. And that is just something that I can’t do. So all of my awesome ideas just remain in my brain in hopes that someday when my childern are supporting themselves I can take the plunge and try.[/quote]

yes right or wrong I took kind of a safe route myself as well. Maybe I lost out on a fortune, but then again my guess is I actually avoided the nerves of worrying about a steady income, even if it means I drive a 6 year old Honda accord versus a new Lexus ha ha

I think it is more like a soda stream machine. Which I have tried. It makes fizzy beer not carbonated. And if you have a keg system why would you need this. It will probably sell though, the keirig sells and it makes poor coffee and people love it.