New guy sliding his nose under the tent flap on beer making

I’m suffering from creeping elegance. I started by looking for the gallon cans of draft beer put out by all the major manufactures in the 60’s. They used a co2 tap handle. Great stuff. Now I find out they are long gone and growers have filled the gap.
Ok, so I decide to buy a small keg and tap system. I became quickly overwhelmed and much of what I saw was from Australia and unavailable locally.
Then I watched you tube how to make beer videos. Before watching I said to myself, you will be sorry. Now I’m saying , that doesn’t look that hard. Creeping elegance from a gallon tin of draft.

First up question; Are paint ball co2 tanks and gas considered food grade and acceptable for beer use?

Second question; who are good suppliers of equipment?

And a big one; How to determine what you may like with all the endless recipes to select from? Where to start and how to self guide with ingredients.

Thanks guys.

1 Like

I’m a bottler and a use natural CO2 creation but when I contemplate moving to forced CO2 I will be buying 5lb CO2 to begin with. The bigger the volume the better the deal in my area.
Start brewing what you like to drink. In general Lagers require some patience and a little more experience. I would guide you to ales to begin.

1 Like

You should be able to get by with paintball CO2 tanks. There is some debate on whether the tanks are food safe but many have reported having no issues. As @squeegeethree mentions, the bigger tanks give you better value. For example, where I’m located a 5lb fill is around $16 while a 10lb fill is $20. Essentially you are paying for the labor vs. the CO2. Heck, now I have 20lb tanks for this reason.
There are many great online suppliers. Our host being one. I often shop around based on what I need and who offers the best prices/shipping. I do want to point out that it is also important to throw some cash at your local homebrew supply shop (LHBS). It’s inevitable that at some point you’ll go to brew and need something and it will be a life saver.
As far as what to make- what’s your favorite beer? What do you usually gravitate to?

2 Likes

Oh and welcome to the forum. Great group here that won’t troll you on even the simplest of questions.

Helps to say thank you though [Side-eyes Hardbrewer123]

1 Like

Welcome. Co2 wise. Get a larger tank. I do use 60 cft. Co2 tank. Nice for forced carbonation. And serving pressure. Last quite long. I must admit. And price wise between tanks. Not so much difference. Beer recipy wise. Brew what your fav kind of beer you like to drink. Lagers might take bit longer to compleet. Equipment wise. I do use our host or more beer. Same as. Grains hops. And so on. Look and shop around.

Yes, welcome to NB’s forum!!
I’ll ask, where are you located?
Sneezles61

Thanks for the responses. I’m fast finding out all sorts of things from suppliers, utube vids, etc.
One thing that will be a major help is Palmer’s How to Brew. That will get me on my feet (just received today).

Maybe someone could answer this question. Commercial draft vs bottled/can beer is very different. Is the same difference found with home brew? Most comments from home brews seems to be with labor and convenience rather than taste.

My location is SE Pa.

Probably some bias as to individual tastes. If you like draft beer better, you will probably like draft homebrew better. I really like draft beer and kegging has been a very positive step for me. But… Bottling is fine and you can make and bottle great beer. There are some guys on here that only bottle and have no interest in changing.

So, a difference between draft and bottle still exists in home brew. Interesting.

I don’t think a flavor difference is any part of the issue at home-brew world… Bottle-ing is the primary way most of us started… Its also easier to meter consumption… Down to half yer supply, time to brew…
Kegging, it can be as quick as, its done fermenting, keg it, chill it, carbonate it and get to drinking… APA’s and IPA’s have the most hop aroma/flavor… the sooner you get that to your pie hole, the way better it is… BUT… there are others brews that really do need time to come of age… Kegging is expensive and so simple…
So now, keep brewing… look to taste as many small craft brewers as you can… Then you tell us if you can find a difference… In time, you’ll find your answer… :blush:
Sneezles61

1 Like

I agree…not a flavor difference. Just personal preference and in that way no different than commercial beer. Maybe I wasn’t clear on that… (ie If I’m out, I’m getting a draft beer if available. Last bottled beer I had at a bar was Rodenbach Grand Cru 750 ml I split with 2 friends at a World of Beer in like, 2016.)

I disagree freshly kegged beer is the best. Although some styles are better bottled.

Actually, so do I …trying to be diplomatic and not have the bottlers come after me with torches and pitchforks…

Again, being a newby, home brew is then better than commercially made beer? It must be, or there would not be so many brewing at home. And bottling may loose something that draft delivers even with home brew.
Thanks for your comments.

1 Like

Of course its better once you get it down. You can brew to your liking

The difference between draft and bottled is less great in home brewing than the commercial breweries IMO. Commercial Draft equates to being fresher than bottles lugged all over the place, left in the back of trucks, left on shelves and then in a cooler. Home-brewed bottled beer doesn’t travel farther than one side of the house to the other, basement to kitchen, garage to kitchen to basement then into the hot-tub.

Hot tub?

1 Like

You have a hot tub in the tiny house?

1 Like

I thought all y’all did. That’s how I have been picturing you all these years.

1 Like