New batch! Would love some feedback

Hi guys ,
So I’ve got this sitting in my primary right now ( about 6 days) and I would love some feedback on it. It’s my first attempt at a Black IPA

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Nighthawk IIPA
Author: DaveyBoy

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Efficiency: 78%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.086
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 8.46%
IBU (tinseth): 107.83
SRM (morey): 38.71

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (81.82%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1 lb - Special B (9.09%)
1 lb - Carafa II (9.09%)

HOPS:
2.5 oz - Chinook (AA 13) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Chinook (AA 13) for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Amarillo (AA 8.6) for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Amarillo (AA 8.6) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Aroma
1.5 oz - Chinook (AA 13), Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop
0.5 oz - Cascade (AA 7), Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Dry Hop

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 oz - Irish Moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temperature: 60 F - 72 F

NOTES:
Actual OG was 1.090. I used two packs of yeast to give it a healthy fermentation. Primary fermentation : 1 week so far, planning on 3/4 weeks. Then dry hop in the secondary for another 10 days.

That’s a LOT of Special B!

Ya, I know. It was sort of accidental that it ended up being that much. When I took the gravity reading before I pitched it, I also took a taste taste from the hydro flask, and it almost seems like it’s got more of a stout flavor than I was looking for. I’m hoping the dry-hopping will help with that. Any suggestions?

Well, you underpitched by quite a bit. Personally, I’d have used some sugar to dry that beast out. The chinook is going to dominate the cascade in the dry hop, so you could either drop it or kick it up to 2-3 ounces, if you actually want some character from it.

I underpitched? How so? I used two of the smack packs and even though its been in the primary since Monday. It just barely stopped bubbling the airlock yesterday.

I like the sound of the 2 oz o cascade as well.

[quote=“HellBound”]I underpitched? How so? I used two of the smack packs and even though its been in the primary since Monday. It just barely stopped bubbling the airlock yesterday.

I like the sound of the 2 oz o cascade as well.[/quote]

1.086 gravity needs ~3 packs of yeast. You didn’t underpitch by a ton (like if you used one pack) but you’re still a bit short. Airlock activity/visual cues don’t tell you much of anything about how healthy/viable your yeast cells are.

So then when I rak to the secondary , should I pitch some fresh yeast? Maybe just sprinkle some dry yeast? Any suggestions?

Just let it go. No need to add more yeast now. The yeast has already gone through growth and is now fermenting and heading towards then end. If you underpitch the yeast will still ferment, but may be stressed and give some unwanted off flavors, but I still think you’ll be ok with 2 packs. And considering all the hops, Special B and Carafa II you have in there, you won’t notice any slight flavor differences from the yeast.

Thanks, it’s my first batch witha gravity that high. Now I know for next time.