Neipa fermentation concern

Hello!
Brewed my first NEIPA on Monday this week. NB all grain version of Fruit Bazooka. 5 gallon batch.
I used BIAB method. I squeeze the bag when I mash out.
Yeast was LalBrew, NewEngland East Coast Ale, 1 packet.
Brew day went fine and followed the recipe instructions.
Mash ph was 5.3, temp 152, mashout 170 for 10 minutes.
This beer recipe has no hop additions in 60 minute boil… but I added an 1oz of Amarillo with 15 minutes left in the boil. I like to experiment.
20 minute hop stand for the other hops.
Cooled wort to 75ish. The instructions said cool to 75-80 degrees since the recipe referenced two liquid yeasts which had optimum fermentation temps of 75-80 and 70-80 degrees.
The dry yeast I pitched has a optimum fermentation temp of 64-77
Sealed up the bucket and brought it into the house at 4:00 pm
Next morning,Tuesday around 8:00 the air lock was bubbling away like mad. My house is a constant 71 degrees. Next day, still going to town. Next day, Thursday I checked SG via drain valve sample. 1.017
Checked again today, 1.017. Still getting a bubble in the airlock every couple minutes. Oh and added first round of dry hops Wednesday morning.
I guess I’m curious if the fermentation took off so fast and wild that I did something wrong? Pitch temperature too high maybe?
I plan to just keep checking SG to be sure it’s stable and give it time for diacetyl rest. Anyone have similar experience with this recipe?

Jeff

Not that the pitch temp was high, but that you have no temp control in place. Ambient temp of the room cannot control fermentation temp. So likely that wort fermented at maybe 8 - 10 degrees higher than room temperature.

1 Like

Rburrelli has you covered… There are a few yeasts that’ll do well with higher temps like Kviek….
How are you checking gravity? Hydrometer or Refractometer?
Sneezles61

I’m always surprised to see kit instructions or recipes that say to cool to 75-80° A little hot for most ale yeast. 60’s would be more like it but not all of us have that luxury. @sneezles61 suggestion of Kveik yeast is a good one. I have had great results using it when fermenting at higher than desired temps.

Another idea is a swamp cooler. Just search it here for lots of info. But first your wort needs to be cooled so some kind of chiller needs to get it down first.

So your beer probably fermented out overnight due to the high temps but being a hoppy beer the hop bitterness might cover any off flavors from higher than desired temps.

I think its fine looks like most of the fermentation was done in the the first few days. It would be nice if you could slow it down. IPA is a pretty forgiving brew. The swamp cooler works pretty good. Only need it for the first few days. After the first couple days of fermentation you can let it sit at ambient in the swamp cooler. Anything that holds water will work. Cheap walmat plastic storage bin comes to mind

Thanks Rburrelli, sneezles61, hd4mark and brew-cat !

I think I felt that neipa beers ferment at higher temps, so in the house we go. I have to check out the swamp cooler. I have a method of controlling outside the fermenter temperature but nothing for internal temp control. I could have done better on this brew regarding temp control but just got lazy .
At 48 hrs, I still had bubbles in the air lock every 10 seconds or so, so I felt it was safe to remove the bung for five seconds and shoot my laser temp gun through the hole. Result was 70 degrees.
So as mentioned, it appears fermentation was mostly done after day one or two.
I’m checking gravity at this point with a refractometer then using the NB correction calculator. I’ll use a hydrometer for the last reading also to see how it compares to the corrected refractometer reading.
During checking the SG I’ve been smelling and tasting and it seems good to me. At least nothing appeared to be “off”
Bubbling in the air lock has tapered slowly to today where it burps once a minute. Fingers crossed. Time to research the swamp cooler.

Thanks again to all!

Jeff

1 Like

And once it’s time to enjoy, an update?
Sneezles61

Thanks for checking in sneezles61.
So after a few more days since my first post, SG didn’t move from 1.017.
On 6-11, I soft crashed to 60 degrees and added the second dry hop, using CO2 to minimize and purge away oxygen. On 6-15, I did an oxygen free transfer to serving keg and cold crashed at 38 degrees for two days. On 6-18, I connected the CO2 and force carbed. I’ve been grabbing little samples all along the way and I think its going to good. When I kegged it, there was a airly strong bitterness, but that has mellowed now. Today’s sample (right after breakfast) had nice carbonation, still has a nice fruity aroma and the taste is enjoyable. I’m not experienced enough to offer a detailed critique other than I’m happy with it. Family will be home for the 4th holiday so I always look forward to their feedback. One thing for sure… I recently picked up an IPA variety 12-pak from Summit Brewing. I love their beer in general but the “Tropical IPA” is just not good imo. I like my hazy way better.

Cheers!

Jeff

1 Like

This is what is most important.

1 Like

I second HD-Marks comment!
Summit does/did make some exceptional brews… the old original purple label called… IPA , was top shelf.
Sneezles61