Negra Medelo Clone Help

It’s not set in stone yet but I sure hope it becomes available year round. I love this yeast!

You could make a killer pilsner with it as well as a Mexican Vienna, Dark Lager, Dunkel and a bunch of other stuff. I made a Mexican Amber Lager, a “cerveza oscura” and even a red lager with it. It has a great character and although I can’t say for sure, I have heard numerous times that it’s Modelo’s yeast.

Ken I never thought of making a red lager with it but that sounds good. I have tried a couple of your recipes from your web site using this yeast. I made your Victoria and Bohemia lager and both were awesome! Now I will have to try your Home Run Red Lager recipe using this yeast.

To Ken:
Little off topic here, but since were on the same post and its the same yeast. How are your Bohemia Clasica clone in´the hops if compared to the real thing? The two most interesting beers for me are that Bohemia and Noche Buena from Cuautemoc Moctezuma

[quote=“scaryeyes”]To Ken:
Little off topic here, but since were on the same post and its the same yeast. How are your Bohemia Clasica clone in´the hops if compared to the real thing? The two most interesting beers for me are that Bohemia and Noche Buena from Cuautemoc Moctezuma[/quote]
AFAIK, I do not have a Bohemia clone recipe on my site. There is one that I was passing around awhile back that I got from a book (possibly Clonebrews) and a few people made a beer with that recipe that came out very good. I’ll be happy to PM it to anyone interested. I do have a recipe I call “Cabana Lager” which is just a pale lager that is tilted towards a Mexican/Caribbean lager in that it does not go overboard on hops, it uses corn (I think…) and it uses the White Labs 940 yeast. It’s not a stab at making any particular beer, just an example of a beer that is supposed to quench thirst in a warm, tropical climate. Cheers!

Mittlefruh, to me, has kind of a juicy-fruit taste - if it’s used in Negra, I’ll bet they don’t use much.
I definitely would like to do a modified Negra type beer - something with that smoothness, but a little more bitterness. Is it just me, or is this stuff the smoothest beer around? None of the yeastiness you get with some lagers.

[quote=“BrewMU”]Mittlefruh, to me, has kind of a juicy-fruit taste - if it’s used in Negra, I’ll bet they don’t use much.
I definitely would like to do a modified Negra type beer - something with that smoothness, but a little more bitterness. Is it just me, or is this stuff the smoothest beer around? None of the yeastiness you get with some lagers.[/quote]
Yeah, it’s smooth. Could be any number of things including the makeup of the water, a lower-than-usual primary fermentation temp, etc. It’s a nice beer, no question. I often wonder how some of these darker beers come out so smooth with little or no roastiness. Indio (only available in Mexico, I believe) is another example. It has a pretty dark color that may or may not come from dark crystal but it doesn’t really have that ‘dried fruit’ thing that you may get from using too much C120°L. I just finished some lagers with 2308 and also 2124 and White Labs 940 is next on the list. I need to order some ingredients and then I’m making Hacienda Lager (probably 2 batches), possibly a batch of Cabana and maybe something else dark… I have a Mexican Amber Lager and a Cerveza Oscura recipe that would work well. Cheers Beerheads.

This may be old news but White Labs is now offering the WLP940 Mexican Lager yeast year around :slight_smile:

Yeah, I think I saw an ad in BYO about this and another brewer send me a link to a White Labs announcement! Whoo!