Need some help and input

I am looking at running a 3 gal batch BIAB with 7 lb of grains. 2 lb 2 Row, 1 lb 6 Row, 4 lb Pilsner. 5 gal of total mash water.

Thinking of 4.5 oz total hop additions 1 oz at 60, 1.5 at 10, 2 at 5.

Looking to set strike at 160, run 60 mins at 152-154 for mash.

Looking for help on what I should expect for OG and FG. I’m shooting for a session/mild style brew here.

I was thinking about 3 weeks fermentation and pitching US-05 at 60 degrees and making sure ferment temps are in the 60-74 range for the yeast.

Mr. Octabird
American Made!

What you will get for OG depends on your brewhouse efficiency. I don’t know what is typical for BIAG, but it could be anywhere from 50 to 80%. If your efficiency is 50%, your OG will be 1.024; if 80% it will be 1.038.

At that mash temperature, you’ll end up with slightly reduced attenuation, probably something like 65-70%. For a beer with that low an OG, I would mash higher and attempt to reduce the efficiency further to keep it from being too thin. But FG is equal to (100% - attenuation) * OG.

Think about investing in some brewing software. It will allow you to plug these things in and play around with the numbers.

You should put this in software to figure out your OG and FG. By my estimation you’ll go from about 1.059 to about 1.014. What kind of hops you using? In any case, pitch cool and keep the fermentation down in the 60s the whole time.

Rebuilt, he’s only making 3 gallons, not 5.

Aha, missed that. Multiply my numbers by 5/3 to get OG.

Thank you guys. I run a Mac and did see that iBrewmaster had an app. Not sure what else may run on it.
Thanks for the help guys.
Running a 1.0 gal final wort volume BIAB with this one to test it out.
DM I am using Falconers Flight 7Cs and New Zealand Motueka.

Mr. Octabird
American Made!

Well ran my test batch last night. After mashing had SG of 1.028.
After wort boil off ended up at 1.042. Pitched the US-05 at 62.
Now racked in primary and at 68.

Once fermentation is done, I will see what I end up with. Going to dry hop, decided to cut back the boil additions.

Mr. Octabird
American Made!

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410141084.745832.jpg[/attachment]
Looks like beer is in the making!

Mr. Octabird
American Made!

[quote=“Octabird”]Looks like beer is in the making![/quote]With so little head space you might want to switch to a blowoff setup before you get a geyser.

The lid did not seal like I expected. I am going to let this one ride it out to the end and see what happens.
I see a good amount of yeast settled to the bottom. Is it ok to swirl and mix it back in, or do you just let it stay there and do its thing?

Mr. Octabird
American Made!

Well 5 days in on my 1 gal BIAB test batch and it looks like fermentation ended.
Initial FG was 1.011
Racked to secondary and filled on top of 10 hop pellets of NZ Motueka. I will take two more readings, if it stays there I ended up with a 4% ABV brew.

My second BIAB is set to go down tomorrow. I’m working on a one off that I will share more about after it goes down. It’s a stout.

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410496568.704963.jpg[/attachment]

Mr. Octabird
American Made!