Need inspiration for fall beer

hoping to brew this weekend, anyone got plans for a great fall beer? i like IPAs or Belgian-inspired beers, but not Belgian IPAs. an Oktoberfest would be great but I’m never blown away by the flavor of the bottled beers that are out there. thanks in advance

Try brewing an Ofest that BLOWS YOU AWAY. There are many great recipes out there to give an idea of what would intrigue you…

anybody every tried an Oktoberfest with a Belgian yeast? how about a saison recipe with 2-3 lbs. of Munich malt for some backbone?

This is what I did with brown ale. I don’t like many commercial brown ales. I figured out what I don’t like about them and formulated a recipe that would take care of those things. I enjoyed it enough that it’s the only recipe I’ve re-brewed with no tweaks, apart from using hops that I had on hand.

By the way–although not traditional–I think brown ale is a nice style for fall.

Lately, I’ve been doing a 2 or 3 beer cycle, reusing the yeast, stepping up the OG each time.
I just started a cycle for August/September of Nut Brown ale, then in a couple weeks a Honey Porter, finishing with a Wee Heavy Scottish ale. Using WY1728 for these.
In September/October my cycle will be an Altbier, followed by a Doublealt. Then as fresh cider becomes available, I’m going to try a Graf.
October/November for me is Lager time. This year I’m thinking of starting with a Vienna Lager, followed by an Oktoberfest, finishing with an Dobblebock.
Then I’ll rest before starting a New year cycle.
Hmmmmm, I guess I like malty beers… :cheers:
As you know, one great thing about this hobby is that you can do things YOUR way. Do you like Cascade hops in an Oktoberfest? Go for it! Do you want to try Munich malt in a Belgian? Great idea! Give it a try.
Me, I like taste and aroma from hops, but not an overwhelming bitterness, so when I do a pale ale, I do the majority of my hops FWH, then 5 and dry hop. That’s just me.

I think the altbier idea is great. I just bottled my first American Pale Wheat and I have an altbier waiting for September.

I made a great spiced fall beer that had many of my friends asking for more. Here it goes:

10 lbs 2 row
1 lb Honey malt
1 oz black patent for color.

1 oz Glacier 60 min
1 oz Glacier 15 min

US 05 Yeast

152 Mash

After fermentation ends add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp clove to 1 shot of Vodka or Rum, let it sit for 24 hours then add to fermenter. Wait 24hrs before bottling or kegging.

Enjoy!

+1 on the alt! One of my favorite beers to brew, great all year round but I try do brew at least 2 a year for the start of spring and fall.

+1 for altbier. Last year I brewed both alt recipes in Brewing Classic Styles, and I preferred the Northern German Altbier recipe over the Dusseldorf alt.

Jamil’s Munich Dunkel would make a great fall beer too.

I like a late hopped American amber ale.

The color reminds me of fall and the dank hops remind me of harvest time.

+1.
But to really do it right, it should be brewed in the spring, Time is your friend with O-Festbier

+1.
But to really do it right, it should be brewed in the spring, Time is your friend with O-Festbier[/quote]
I agree. I too am a traditionalist and brew my Ofest in March and lager it away… now if I could only find a cave to lager in…

+1.
But to really do it right, it should be brewed in the spring, Time is your friend with O-Festbier[/quote]
I agree. I too am a traditionalist and brew my Ofest in March and lager it away… now if I could only find a cave to lager in…[/quote]

I think it also tastes better in a gigantic stein served by someone carrying eight additional steins.

Agreed, if the server is dressed in a dirndl, but not if named “Hans” or “Wolfgang”.

Ah, fall… When the cool air and chimney smoke turns a man’s fancy to rauchbier again…

MUNICH DUNKEL IS A GREAT WINTER FALL BEER

4lbs of Bavarian Munich blend
2lbs amber malt
1lbs German pilsner malt
1lb German Munich malt
1/2german dark crystal malt
1/4 German medium crystal malt
1/4lb German Melanoidin malt
3/4oz German northern or Perle hops for bittering
1oz Hallertauer hops flavoring no finish hops
yeast safale us-o5 or wyeast 1338 1007