Need help quick!

Hello folks,

I’m brewing an IPA today and have thought about trying “continuous hopping”. Is there any advantage for me, a small batch home brewer, to try this? I have a hop schedule of 60, 45, 35, 25, 15, and 5 minutes. Should I just consolidate these additions?

Thanks for looking and I hope to get some advice.

Rambus

I did an Imperial Pils (Dogfish Head - My Antonia Clone) a few months ago and they do a continuous hopping. A small amount of hops is added every minute. I took all the hops (Magnum, Simcoe, Saaz) and quickly blended them together in a coffee grinder. I then added 2 tablespoons every 5 min during the boil. It’s a good beer, but really I think the idea of continuously hopping is gimmicky. I don’t see any real advantage to it. I’d stick with a more traditional additions. 1 at 60min and several between 20min and 1min.

But if you want to try more additions, by all means go for it. Just don’t expect some mind blowing flavors in your beer. The 45 and 35min additions in your plan are basically wasting some hops. It’s too long for flavor & aroma and not long enough to totally utilize the hops for bittering.

[quote=“Rambus”]Hello folks,

I’m brewing an IPA today and have thought about trying “continuous hopping”. Is there any advantage for me, a small batch home brewer, to try this? I have a hop schedule of 60, 45, 35, 25, 15, and 5 minutes. Should I just consolidate these additions?

Thanks for looking and I hope to get some advice.

Rambus[/quote]

Can’t hurt to try it out, right? That’s the great thing about homebrewing - it’s easy enough to try stuff like this out.

Having said that, I think anything greater than 30 minutes won’t give you much more than bittering contributions. My IPA has an addition at 60 for bittering, then additions at 15, 10, 5, and flameout/“whirlpool”. IMO, the closer you get to the end of the boil the more utility you get from multiple additions since there the various hop oils flash off at different temperatures.

Thanks for the advice guys, I ended up going with a 60, 15, 5, 0 schedule.

Hey, Miller light claims to be triple hopped. Think that means they add three single hop pellets at different points in the boil?

[quote=“560sdl”]Think that means they add three single hop pellets at different points in the boil?[/quote]They’re referring to the Miller brewer’s long-held tradition of jumping over the brew kettle three times.

haha!

One leaf petal each of 3 different varieties, maybe?

Or re-using the hops 3 times before discarding them.

Loving the comments on this one guys…thanks!