NE IPA reviews

All joking aside, I think we can at least agree this style lends itself to a less apparent bitterness than traditional IPA/IIPA, right? Isn’t that an oxymoron when describing IPA? We can debate late hopping creating less assertive bitterness, or whether it is low coho hops, or whether they have lab measurements for the 70IBU’s… In the end, it is a less bitter IPA as supremely flavorful and drinkable as it is.

1 Like

Com’on @denny. Sure there are some women out there who reach for that beer. But I would be willing to bet actual $$ that there are more female ‘craft’ beer drinkers who reach for a lighter offering.

Most of the woman in my circle like my saisons/Belgians and my porters. It’s true many don’t like bitter but many men don’t either. And by the way none of them would take offense from the term because the don’t like chik beer either.

Geez, I must an exception for a wife, her favorite brew is Odell’s IPA, then to sierra…. Those light whimpy ones she won’t drink…. Absolutely won’t even drink wheats… Go figure. We can’t even find any of the NE IPA around. Sneezles61

Based on what I know and what I’ve seen, you;d lose that bet.

2 Likes

Must be regional, which is a possibility. I do admit that I think OR is light years ahead of OH in terms of craft beer which could also push that.

Never been to Oregon but the breweries in CO and CT that I visit the women are drinking everything the men are. @loopie_beer must be hanging out with beginners.

At Surly, I made the mistake of telling my wife “that’s a pretty advanced beer” when she wanted a Brett IPA. She glared at me as she drank it (and got the worst headache of her life). It’s funny, I feel like the typical girl beers (wheat, saison, wit, belgian, etc) are too much for me. Maybe my big RIS obsessions are weakling chick beers?

My saison and Belgian beer are 9%. No wonder the women like them. Makes them silly though

Except that I’m not speaking solely of OR. I travel a lot to a lot of beer fests, etc. I’m basing my comments on a broad cross section.

1 Like

Guess I will throw in the white towel and admit I am wrong since when I go out, I pay more attention to my wife than watching what other women drink. :grin:

I think you guys are confusing “chick beer” with beers that women drink. They aren’t necessarily the same thing.

1 Like

Guess I agree with both @zwiller and @porkchop. The females that I do know don’t hate hoppy or high ABV beers but it’s not necessarily their top choice. Of course I don’t pay much attention to females other than the ones I know.
@denny, I don’t get to travel the world for beer like you! :wink:

OK already. I never use the word chik beer I prefer the term crappy beer. And i never ever pay attention to other woman especially if they are drinking crappy beer, except sometimes.

2 Likes

I always pay attention to other women :wink:

1 Like

An honest man

This post made me curious so I tried making a NEIPA. I used flaked oats in the grist and 4ozs dry citra hops. It was pretty hazy at the end of fermentation. I cold crashed and was a little clearer but not as clear as my other IPAs. Only one week on gas it’s still quite cloudy. And at 70 IBU I don’t taste much bitterness at least as compared to other IPAs I’ve made to that IBU. I’m beginning to think the oats. Going to give it two more weeks on gas. The other thing I’m doing different is carbonating it at lager temperature trying to force it clear. I don’t care about the haziness just trying to eliminate variables.

My first kegging adventure involved a hop stand of 20 minutes…4 weeks carbing at 38 degrees…still quite hazy.

Are you suggesting the long hop stand causes the haziness?

Only if you are :wink: