NB Oktoberfest - Single vs. Multi-Step

I am planning on brewing this NB Oktoberfest on Saturday. Yeah, I know I’m a little late to the Oktoberfest brewing…

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documenta ... erfest.pdf

So, I have only done single infusion mashing in a cooler, making multi-step mashes and varying temps pretty tough to hit.

Can you guys give me your input on how important/much better a multi-step mash is versus a single infusion? Should I go to the extra trouble of the multi-step mash? Anyone have a link that would help me with strike water temp/volumes for hitting different mash temps?

As an experiment, I’ve brewed the same recipe with both single and step infusions quite a few times. I haven’t found enough of a difference to convince myself that the step mash really improves the beer.

Telling me exactly what I wanted to hear. Cheers

Ever thought about dumping your entire mash into the brew kettle to heat to the next temp, then pouring back into your cooler.

I only do 5 gal batches, but have done this way for 8 years.

‘Greenbay Rackers’ have a neat little mash volumes/temps calculator page if you get the urge to do an infusion stepmash.
This past weekend I did a decoction step from 147 to 155 just for fun. The calculations from J.P.'s book were a little gobblygook , but ‘braukaiser’ has a great explanation of decoction mashes and a simple formula for figuring out volume.
Sometimes I just like to experiment… :mrgreen:

[quote=“brewingdan”]Ever thought about dumping your entire mash into the brew kettle to heat to the next temp, then pouring back into your cooler.

I only do 5 gal batches, but have done this way for 8 years.[/quote]

That’s a pretty nifty idea, but I boil in keggles and pouring the mash back out of the keggle and into the tun would be a challenge…