My Pretzel Wheat test recipe!

I’ve been searching everywhere for a Pretzel Wheat beer recipe and have had no luck. Now that Shock Top discontinued the Twisted Pretzel Wheat, I have had to step up my game and put something together. I am not a recipe designer, so i’m sure this isnt anywhere near perfect, but hopefully some people here can chime in and help me refine this recipe. This is for a 5 gallon batch.

5 lb Pale Malt (2-row)
2 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt (60l)
4 lb Wheat Malt, Belgian
Mash thickness 1.25
Strike water, 3.44 gal @ 167.4, target 154.0
Sparge water, 5.89 gal @ 172.6

Bittering Hop, Columbus, 1/2 oz for 60 min.
Aroma Hop, Tettnag, 1/2 oz for 15 min.
Bitter orange peel, 2 oz for 15 minutes.
Salt, 10g for 5 minutes.
Whirflock Tablet, 15 minutes.

Yeast, Bakers yeast! Yea, crazy but needed for that bread like flavor.

So there it is, anyone have any comments? How does it sound?

This would be my sugestion. For the wheat malt i would use Red wheat for color and flavor. Your c 60 malt is 18%which is alot and going to be cloying sweet I would back it back to around no more than 10% and less in your recipe. If worried about color after that I would use carafa malt to match color and not add flavor and that bread flavor is most likely biscuit malt or victory malt. This will give you that bread taste to a brew. To enhance the bread flavor and make it more like pretzel treat it like a crystal malt. Run your first running and then add your biscuit malt with your second sparge water wait 20 minutes and sparge. For yeast I would use a clean yeast us05 would work great

5 lb Pale Malt (2-row)
8 oz Carafa Malt
4 lb Red Wheat Malt
1 lb Biscuit Malt
1 lb Biscuit Malt during batch sparge
Mash thickness 1.25
Strike water, 3.44 gal @ 167.4, target 154.0
Sparge water, 5.89 gal @ 172.6
Bittering Hop, Columbus, 1/2 oz for 60 min.
Aroma Hop, Tettnag, 1/2 oz for 15 min.
Bitter orange peel, 2 oz for 15 minutes.
Salt, 10g for 5 minutes.
Whirflock Tablet, 15 minutes.
Yeast, US05

Never had the beer so not much help. If you go with carafa malt get the special type 3 to avoid too roasty of flavors.

1 Like

Thanks, will do!

So, I’ve searched this before and never found it, but finally, someone is selling a pretzel flavoring. Shocktop uses a flavoring for their pretzel wheat, so this should work. Now I have to create a whole new recipe. What would y’all use for a 5 gallon batch? Here is the link to the flavoring.

I would pour 5 two oz samples and dose each one with a determined amount. Scale from there.

I would visit that safety site before I put hat shitaki in my beer.

What do you mean safety site?

Ahh gotcha, I’ll have a look.

Your looking for a butter taste got to be a better way to get it than some chemical additive but that’s just me. Go for it it’s your beer

Even Shocktop uses an additive to get the pretzel taste. I’m not doing anything they haven’t done. If there was a better way, id do it, but there isn’t. People use flavoring additives all the time in their beer. I’m just trying to clone their beer and this is the best possible solution. My only problem now is finding out which hops they use in the real thing.

You know you could try to ferment an ale yeast really warm to get that diyicetal flavor but it may be tricky to get it right without being overwhelming

Flavor additives are used in beers all the time I guess but it’s also fun to try to get those flavor s with the use of natural ingredients. But sometimes I guess it’s just not possible.

I’d be more than happy to use natural ingredients. If I find a way, I’ll try it. Then I can have something to compare it to.

1 Like

I sure do like having a big mug of beer… with a pretzel or two! Sneezles61

1 Like

I wanted to reignite this form.
First – Aldus Brewing in Hanover, PA makes an astoundingly superior brew to that of Shock Top.
Second – The usages suggestions for the link provided to pretzel flavoring is 7-10%. I can’t see myself adding 54 ounces of flavoring to any brew, nor can I see myself buying that much.

Has anyone tried making one yet? I’m trying to find my best option to make one as well (but no Shock Top orange. I think it was a terrible combo)

Nope… But I did have some pretzels with many brews… Really, an outstanding combo! Sneezles61

1 Like