My maibock

Never made a lager before but it’s about time I tried one. My question is after fermentation and I’m ready to lager I plan on racking to keg and putting in the fridge for a month. My question is can I lager carbonated or should I wait until after the ageing. I was thinking lager un carbed two weeks then hook up co2 and lager/carb for two more weeks. Does this sound right?

That would certainly work. But either way works well. If you plan on hitting it with gelatin then keep it uncarbed.

I usually just let my beers clear naturally. They usually come out quite clear so I don’t use any gelatin. Do lager yeasts clear like ale yeasts or do they need help?

They take a little longer as they like the colder temps. But like ale strains, they too will eventually flocc out given enoigh time. If you don’t use gelatin you might as well start carbing to give the CO2 time to hydrate.

I lager and carbonate simultaneously. Only problem doing it that way is you’re tempted to start sampling sooner! I never use gelatin and my lagers are crystal clear after a couple weeks at lager temps.

Thanks Josh. I think I may try the gelatin. I’ll add the gelatin to the keg and lager for two weeks then carbonate the keg. I’m not going to have time to get yeast for a starter before brewday, what do you recommend as a dry and should I pitch two packets? Going to look for about .065 around 6.5% ABV

Same here. Works great, no need for gelatin.

W34/70 is the best lager yeast I’ve found. S-189 is also good, but hard to find. Avoid S-23. Remember, lagers need double the cell count of ales, so with that OG I’d recommend 3 packs.

I always carb while lagering.

W34/70 is the best lager yeast I’ve found. S-189 is also good, but hard to find. Avoid S-23. Remember, lagers need double the cell count of ales, so with that OG I’d recommend 3 packs.[/quote]

Atlantic brew supply has the S-189 and a USPS shipping option so it wouldn’t be too bad a cost to get two or three to try. Brew brothers in Hillsboro, OR sometimes has it and does USPS shipping also.

W34/70 is the best lager yeast I’ve found. S-189 is also good, but hard to find. Avoid S-23. Remember, lagers need double the cell count of ales, so with that OG I’d recommend 3 packs.[/quote]
I agree with RC. Gelatin is very easy and effective. Put it in cold water and let it bloom for an hour. Heat it in the microwave until it dissolves and your good to go. You do not need to boil it. Just hot enough so it dissolves.

I’m going with the w34/70. Do you recommend rehydrating or not. I was planning to pitch three packs at about 55deg. That’s the ambient temp of my cellar.

There is never any harm in rehydrating, go for it. Any way to get that down to 50? 55 is a bit warmer than you want for a lager fermentation.

There is never any harm in rehydrating, go for it. Any way to get that down to 50? 55 is a bit warmer than you want for a lager fermentation.[/quote]
Sure can. 50 is best?

Wow, that’s $15+ in yeast. I agree that 3 packs should probably be used though. I pitched 2 packs rehydrated into 5gal of 1.050 German Pils and it took over 72 hours before there was a trace of krausen so I clearly underpitched.

Wow, that’s $15+ in yeast. I agree that 3 packs should probably be used though. I pitched 2 packs rehydrated into 5gal of 1.050 German Pils and it took over 72 hours before there was a trace of krausen so I clearly underpitched.[/quote]

Just an investment. I’ll save the yeast and have it available to build a good starter for the next lager. Actually I’ll probably time a brew to dump on top of this when it’s done.

Wow, that’s $15+ in yeast. I agree that 3 packs should probably be used though. I pitched 2 packs rehydrated into 5gal of 1.050 German Pils and it took over 72 hours before there was a trace of krausen so I clearly underpitched.[/quote]

Matt, what temp did you rehydrate the yeast at and what temp did you pitch?

Matt, what temp did you rehydrate the yeast at and what temp did you pitch?[/quote]

I rehydrated with 80* water and pitched and fermented at 50*

Hydrated the yeast and let if cool to around 60 pitched it into wort at 48. It took me about 40 min to get the wort chilled to that temp. It seems ironic that the hardest part about brewing in 15 degree weather is the chilling.

Checked it this morning and the room and the fermenter are at 48-49. A little positive pressure in the airlock so fermentation is starting. Is that a good temp or should I get it into the low 50s ?