My First Original Recipe - Success

I could use your help in determining an appropriate style for my first original recipe. I’m thinking it could be a Witbier, but it’s profile it’s just a tad off the mark across all the variables for the style. Here’s the recipe.

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.016
IBU: 25
ABV: 5.8%
Color: 4L

Grain Bill:
Pilsner Malt: 56%
Maris Otter: 22%
Flaked What: 22%

Hops:
Cascade: 1oz @ 60 min
Cascade: 1.5ox @ 10 min

Yeast: WLP300

Extras:
6 Cloves in Fermenter for 1 week after primary fermentation
8 tablespoons of lemon zest for 1 week after primary fermentation

Any thoughts?

I’m not really sure that fits into any BJCP style if that’s what you are asking. Wits wouldn’t have the MO, cascades, or a hefe yeast

The closest thing I can think of would be a White IPA like chainbreaker, but that’s not really a recognized style, even in the Brewers Association style guidelines, which are much more exhaustive than BJCP.

I will ask the question though - why does it need to fit into a style? Why not just Chris-P’s (Crispy’s?) House Ale?

Also, can’t resist, even though I don’t believe you are asking for recipe feedback - why the hefe yeast? Seems like a wit yeast would match up way better with the lemon/light clove (IMHO the yeast alone will give you plenty, without the additions), and not give you any of the banana BS.

[quote=“Pietro”]I’m not really sure that fits into any BJCP style if that’s what you are asking. Wits wouldn’t have the MO, cascades, or a hefe yeast

The closest thing I can think of would be a White IPA like chainbreaker, but that’s not really a recognized style, even in the Brewers Association style guidelines, which are much more exhaustive than BJCP.

I will ask the question though - why does it need to fit into a style? Why not just Chris-P’s (Crispy’s?) House Ale?

Also, can’t resist, even though I don’t believe you are asking for recipe feedback - why the hefe yeast? Seems like a wit yeast would match up way better with the lemon/light clove (IMHO the yeast alone will give you plenty, without the additions), and not give you any of the banana BS.[/quote]

Yeah, i mean if it doesn’t fit a BJCP style, that’s fine. Just wondering what it would be closest to. I like the combination of the banana esters from the WLP300 with the lemon. It just works for me.

In terms of BJCP it would probably fall into category 21A Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer thanks to the clove and lemon zest. Esters and color are wrong for a wit. Technically it doesn’t have enough wheat to be considered a hefeweizen, but that’s probably the closest familiar style because of the distinctive esters.

If this is what you want, don’t worry about the BJCP guideline. Although it is nice to have a style or some commercial examples as a reference when telling people what style a beer is.

Exactly. If I had to pick a commercial beer to compare to, I’d say it’s probably closest to a Hoegaarden, though slightly darker.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]In terms of BJCP it would probably fall into category 21A Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer thanks to the clove and lemon zest. Esters and color are wrong for a wit. Technically it doesn’t have enough wheat to be considered a hefeweizen, but that’s probably the closest familiar style because of the distinctive esters.

If this is what you want, don’t worry about the BJCP guideline. Although it is nice to have a style or some commercial examples as a reference when telling people what style a beer is.[/quote]

Or 23 specialty beer, as it combines two different catagories, herb (clove) and fruit (lemon zest).

Since you’re using a hefe yeast, I wouldn’t agree. There may be a hint of clove in Hoegaarden, but not as strong as you would get from a hefe yeast. I don’t get any banana from any wit I can name. Banana is exactly the thing that makes me despise hefe’s.

There may be one out there, but you really can’t compare your recipe to any commercial beer that I know.

As long as you like it, that’s all that matters. Call it a specialty beer such as Cross Dresser Hefe. I have made a lager that I called Cross Continental Lager - I used MO, Munich and 2 row with Cascade, Fuggles and Saaz hops and WLP 800 lager yeast. It turned out quite fine and I was just using up some ingredients I had on hand!