My first beer!

I just tapped my keg last week and it was pretty good (an Irish Red from another company that I got as a gift last Christmas) When I brewed this beer I stated that my goal for my first batch was to brew a beer as good as Killians Irish Red (setting my standards pretty low) Well I’m happy to state I have succeeded!!! In my cooler are Sam Adams Boston Lager, Sam Adams Winter Lager and KIllians Irish Red. After tasting my first home brew I can’t go back to the Killians my beer is way better. I’d go as far as saying it even tastes better than the Boston Lager and is on par with the Winter Lager. It’s not crystal clear but looks very nice and I actually think the flavor is improving every day. I just ordered the Elevenses and will be brewing that this weekend. Thanks to all of you who gave me some very good advice!!!

Congrats on a successful first brew, and my condolences to all your loved ones for recently losing you and your free time to the obsession!

A proper Irish Red is such a better beer than Killians (which I believe is brewed as a lager these days). You should order a few kits while its flat rate shipping, and arrange a beer pong tourney to get rid of those Boston Beer Co. kegs :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, I do like their beers. But I agree, ones I/we make are usually better :cheers:

Pietro, Yea I had the Killians for when my friends came over. They drink mostly Bud and Bud Light…I refuse to put that stuff in my fridge because no one in my family will ever drink it, so I buy them the Killians and if they don’t drink it all I can at least have a acceptable “lawnmower” beer. Over the last few years I have really lost my taste for The Boston Lager it just doesn’t seem as good as it used to. Now the Sam Adams beers they brew in smaller batches are pretty good. Anyway I’ve definitely been bitten by the “brewing bug” I’ve got a batch of oatmeal stout in the secondary and a batch of Elevenses waiting on me for this weekend. I am actually running out of kegs…will need to buy at least 2-3 more.

I can relate to this. Sam Adams tend to be a gateway beer into craft beers - for me…it’s the bottom of the barrel of craft beers these days. I mean…it tastes fine and all…but it’s just…okay.

I can relate to this. Sam Adams tend to be a gateway beer into craft beers - for me…it’s the bottom of the barrel of craft beers these days. I mean…it tastes fine and all…but it’s just…okay.[/quote]

Just Boston Lager or all of their beers? Their Imperial Series are rather tasty. Their Dopplebock is outstanding in my opinion.

I can relate to this. Sam Adams tend to be a gateway beer into craft beers - for me…it’s the bottom of the barrel of craft beers these days. I mean…it tastes fine and all…but it’s just…okay.[/quote]

Just Boston Lager or all of their beers? Their Imperial Series are rather tasty. Their Dopplebock is outstanding in my opinion.[/quote]

I like most of their specialty beers. IMO they brew the Boston Lager in much larger batches and quality control may be a little more difficult.

Love the Octoberfest, Old Fezziwig, Holiday Porter, the Black Lager and cream Stout is good too. I’ve never been able to get any of their “small batch” beers but would love to try them. Almost forgot their Chocolate Bock is great as well…

Just Boston Lager or all of their beers? Their Imperial Series are rather tasty. Their Dopplebock is outstanding in my opinion.[/quote]

Just the Boston Lager and a few others…like the Irish Red and Coastal Wheat.

The Latitude 48, Black & Tan, Holiday Porter, and many of the other seasonal and specialties are quite good.