My bung is stuck

I just brewed a Red Ale, fermented in a 5 gal carboy with a bung and airlock. Instead of using the whole airlock, I take the cap off and put a hose over the stem for a blowoff. Well, there was very active ferm and a lot of krausen, which got into the blowoff and dried the bung into the carboy. Does anyone have any good methods for removing a crusted in bung from a carboy?

Thanks

Use a pliers to squeeze the top of the bung. Spray Starsan solution as you work around to add some lubricant. May have to take some rest breaks as the Starsan works deeper on its own.
Last resort. A knife to split the bung.

I have put a screw into one to pull on. You can also take wire or a coat hanger and make a hook to pull it out.

Or a short screw/nail (1" or so) that you could fit some sturdy string/twine around the middle. Push it through the bung hole and then when it goes horizontal, pull on the string to pull the bung out.

Edit: Maybe that is what Roffenburger is describing.

All awesome suggestions. I will put these in my knowledge base for the next time I run into this. Thanks all! I knew this was the place for the answer.

Happy brewing!

[quote=“dsiets”]Or a short screw/nail (1" or so) that you could fit some sturdy string/twine around the middle. Push it through the bung hole and then when it goes horizontal, pull on the string to pull the bung out.

Edit: Maybe that is what Roffenburger is describing.[/quote]
Nope, I’ve actually driven a screw into the bung and then grabbed the screw with pliers to pull it out.

Never use the terms “screw” and “bunghole” in the same sentence.

I was wondering how many replies it would take to get there…

:lol:

It’s called a proctologist my man!
You re welcome,
Signed
BEER!!!
:cheers: