My Brew Stand

OK, it’s not done yet, but it’s close enough that I just had to share a photo with my NB comrades.

As you can see, the frame is constructed of simple untreated pine, 2x4s and 2x6s. The surface upon which the kettle sits is perforated angle iron. I put a considerable amount of distance between the side framing and the burner, since wood is obviously flammable. I’m also going to enclose the burner in a steel heat shield and also line the inside of the wood framing with concrete backerboard to further protect the wood from heat.

I tested the stand with 14 gallons in my pot and it showed no signs of failure.

You tested it with flame?
The wood looks like it would be really close to the fire in the picture.

[quote=“JMcK”]You tested it with flame?
The wood looks like it would be really close to the fire in the picture.[/quote]

yup, tested with flame. Good to go.

Back-pedaling a bit here…

After a lengthy test of this design, the wood structure started smoking; even with concrete backer board shielding it. The heat was just too much.

So I ended up rebuilding using the Wallace Weldless design
http://www.aleiens.com/profiles/blogs/wallace-the-weldless-brew

[quote=“Chris-P”]Back-pedaling a bit here…

After a lengthy test of this design, the wood structure started smoking; even with concrete backer board shielding it. The heat was just too much.

So I ended up rebuilding using the Wallace Weldless design
http://www.aleiens.com/profiles/blogs/wallace-the-weldless-brew
.[/quote]

Much tighter looking design Chris!

Is that a Duda Diesel chiller? What model? I’ve been eyeing one if those. What pump did you go with?

Have you checked out the new LHBS in Leesburg yet? Kettles & Grains.

[quote=“dannyboy58”]
Much tighter looking design Chris!

Is that a Duda Diesel chiller? What model? I’ve been eyeing one if those. What pump did you go with?

Have you checked out the new LHBS in Leesburg yet? Kettles & Grains.[/quote]

Thanks, Danny. I’m very happy with this design. Yeah, it’s the DudaDiesel B3-23A - 12" 30 plate and it’s freaking awesome. One of the best brewing purchases I’ve made yet. Don’t be fooled by shorter 30 plate chillers; it’s the 12" length that makes this chiller cool rapidly.

The pump is a Chugger with a SS head. I haven’t yet checked out K&G, but I hear it’s pretty cool. Definitely plan to get out that way soon.