Five gallon 5.5 boil 60 minutes

8.5 lbs German pilsner malt
5.2 oz German Munich malt
1.6 oz melanoidin malt
1.6 oz biscuit malt
Hallertau 1 oz 60 minutes.
.5 oz 20 minutes
Brewed with about every German yeast.
I like 2206. This last time I used southern German lager 838.
Also using same recipe and changing hops to saaz and czech yeast. Makes what I call bohemin helles

Interesting recipe Damian. Thanks for posting!

You must be using US hallertau to get that IBU from those amounts?

I may try it with hersbrucker. I made an all hersbrucker vienna that had a nice spicy sharp bitterness. I think that would be nice in a helles.

Your welcome! That’s what I had in my notes must have been us domestic. I too think that might be a nice change of hops for little spicier touch. The saaz is a nice touch too.

Whatcha gonna do for water ions?

I’ll probably use 100% distilled and build it up to a munich or pilsen profile.

As I’m sure your water and mine are not the same. But Danny hit it on the nose. Both Munich and pilsner are what I use the most. Both are great for this recipe.

You guys have any issues with the low Ca level in Pilsen-like water?

I’m kinda in debate about calcium levels in water I understand my water chemistry and the effects of calcium, but after some trial and error experiments using the pilsner water profile. I found only difference was hop utilization. Not much difference in maltyness. At least for certain styles of beer.

I’m kinda in debate about calcium levels in water I understand my water chemistry and the effects of calcium, but after some trial and error experiments using the pilsner water profile. I found only difference was hop utilization. Not much difference in maltyness. At least for certain styles of beer.[/quote]
I suppose my last pilsner didn’t clear quite as quickly as some of my other beers. That could probably be attributed to the low calcium.

I’m kinda in debate about calcium levels in water I understand my water chemistry and the effects of calcium, but after some trial and error experiments using the pilsner water profile. I found only difference was hop utilization. Not much difference in maltyness. At least for certain styles of beer.[/quote]
I suppose my last pilsner didn’t clear quite as quickly as some of my other beers. That could probably be attributed to the low calcium.[/quote] calcium is one of the most important things in water. I have notice too that low calcium beers don’t clear as well either. Think that’s why Germans lager for long periods