Moving. With Beer and Brewing Equipment

So I took a new job yesterday with my company in my hometown. Its a great opportunity in a specialty I’ve wanted to be in for awhile, and the company is setting up some nice perks including closing cost coverage, and moving/packing.

I have 10 gallons right now in primary/conditioning, pretty much ready to bottle, and another 5 that is bubbling away. Should I just bottle all these? I do have kegs, but I am thinking my serving fridge is going to be out of commission for a little bit. Two of the beers will be great to bottle condition (rye saison and biere de mars), but the other is a kolsch, and I was really looking forward to drinking it out of a keg…maybe I’ll keg up the kolsch, have a few friends over for a last hurrah in the house, and bottle any leftovers.

Any experience with moving 4-ish cases of beer and homebrew equipment would be appreciated!

Put it all in kegs. Why? No concerns of broken bottles/carboys.

When you get settled in you can add some sugar to the kegs and put them in bottles to carbonate.

Congrats on the new job Pietro!

I moved a year ago, about 2 months after going all grain. 3 dedicated beer fridges, a kegerator, 10 kegs, mostly full, 2 stainless steel commercial sinks, 6-8 fermenters, 2 or 3 active ones, 6-8 cases of home brew. Lot of work to move, but at least I had beer to drink until I get everything set back up, which was about 3 months.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Put it all in kegs. Why? No concerns of broken bottles/carboys.

When you get settled in you can add some sugar to the kegs and put them in bottles to carbonate.[/quote]
I’m moving the end of this month and this is what I’m planning. It means I have to move my 1.5 year old Kriek out of the carboy sooner than planned but I don’t want it sloshing around in the carboy. I’m going to try to save the dregs from the carboy in some large mason jars for a future sour.

Ummm, move the serving fridge / temp controls stuff first, and get it up and running… :cheers:

See thats the issue. My moving company will only do one household goods move. We are moving in with my mom for a bit until we find a house. Therefore, all of our stuff from our house will be in storage until we find a house. I have a sedan that can’t fit my serving/fermentation fridge.

I guess I’m going to have to see if I can get my brother to tote my chest freezer up there in his BAT when he goes up to visit (next weekend! ugh…no brewing for me for awhile!) so I can still brew when we’re staying w/ my mom.

Got it, Brother…But it sure would be nice to have some “refreshments” on hand whilst settling in, huh? :slight_smile:

If it’s all in kegs that’ll be great motivation to move in settle in fast and set up the kegerator !

Aaaaaand my mom has a spare fridge in the garage.

God I love having a mom who loves having food on hand.

Did you ever post a recipe for your Rye Saison? I would be interested in seeing that.