Moving a Fermented Beer Still in Primary?

I have all the bottling equipment at my house (along with a batch of beer ready to bottle) and the other half of the batch at my brother’s house ready to be bottled.

It would be easier to just move the beer from his house to mine and bottle everything at my place.

I’m concerned about oxidizing the beer though since I’d have to drive the fermenter across down.

Will the sloshing around during the drive cause problems? The beer is fully fermented and the head-space in the bucket is all CO2, but I’m not sure how “air tight” those fermenting buckets are…especially when driving.

Shouldn’t be a problem - the slight vibration from driving will likely force some CO2 out of solution, helping to keep the headspace “clean”, but make an effort to not hit any big bumps that would cause the beer to really slosh around inside the bucket.

Alright…I’ll give it a try. Thanks.

Other than the sediment you’ll prolly’ stir up…

But that stuff won’t hurt ya"!.. :cheers:

It will be OK. I’ve moved to a different house with full carboys. Kegged them when things calmed down. We bought a house last year, and I forgot about one due to the move and a death in the family. :oops: I finally got around to dumping it last week.

Do you keg? If so, transferring beer via moving vehicle in a keg is the easiest thing to do.

Looks like he’s bottling.

[quote=“stompwampa”]I have all the bottling equipment at my house (along with a batch of beer ready to bottle) and the other half of the batch at my brother’s house ready to be bottled.

It would be easier to just move the beer from his house to mine and bottle everything at my place…[/quote]

Everything went just fine.

My big concern was oxidizing the fermented beer in transit.

I just semi-sloshed a fermented beer today. I figure everything in the headspace is CO2 anyways…