Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Mountain Brew? WTF mate?

Why? Am I the only one is that is just weirded out by this.

Mountain Brew - mountain dew beer

http://byo.com/light-ale/item/1167-mountain-brew

Jason Pavento wanted to combine his two favorite beverages, homebrew and Mountain Dew. His creation — Mountain Brew — does just that. We’ve fiddled with his procedures a bit, based on our own experimentation, but the ingredients are the same as his original recipe. The beer turns out light and crisp, with some aroma, but not much flavor from the Mountain Dew. And, in case you’re wondering, neither the preservatives or the caffeine seem to bother the yeast. Mountain Brew is also a very easy to make. So, to mangle a phrase from their ads — just brew it!

Mountain Brew

5 gallons/19 L, extract with soda pop; OG = 1.046; FG = 1.006; IBU = 19; SRM = 4; ABV = 5.2%

Ingredients:

4.0 lbs. (1.8 kg) Muntons Extra Light dried malt extract
2.3 gallons (8.7 L) Mountain Dew (24 12-oz. cans of the soda)
4.5 AAU Northern Brewer hops (45 mins) (0.5 oz./14 g of 9% alpha acids)
2.25 AAU Northern Brewer hops (15 mins) (0.25 oz./7 g of 9% alpha acids)
1/2 tsp Irish moss
1/4 tsp yeast nutrients
Danstar Manchester yeast
1.0 cup corn sugar (for priming)

Step by step:

Pour Mountain Dew into a clean, sanitized brew bucket. (The soda should not have anything growing in it, so there’s no need to boil. You may want to wipe the lips of the cans with a paper towel soaked in sanitizing solution, though. Let it sit in the bucket (covered) as you boil the wort so the level of carbonation will decrease.) Bring 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of water to a boil and stir in malt extract. Boil for 60 minutes, adding hops at the times indicated in the recipe. Add Irish moss with 15 minutes left in the boil. Cool wort and pour into Mountain Brew. (Watch for excessive foaming.) Top up to 5 gallons (19 L) with water. Aerate (again, watching for excessive foaming) and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C) for 1 week. Rack to secondary and age for 2 weeks, Bottle with corn sugar.

All-grain option:

Next time you make a light all-grain beer, such as a Kölsch, cream ale or light pale ale, make an extra 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of wort. Combine 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) cooled wort with Mt. Dew and water to make 5 gallons (19 L).

They brought some of it to a Zealots club meeting and supposedly it was quite drinkable. I missed that meeting, though.

just something I would never think to do.

or not really sure why I would want to.

I don’t recall Chris’s original reason for doing it, but there was a story behind it.

I drank an IPA-ish beer someone used Coca-Cola in once. He boiled it down to almost syrup first and the added it. Not sure when (boil, secondary). It was pretty decent. A faint Cola taste that went well with the the beer. Don’t think I’d be into a beer like mentioned above, though.

Light beer gets more white trash…yuck.

Well the sugar would all ferment out of there so basically all that is left is the random chemicals, yellow dye, and caffeine. Not sure what the point would be.

This sounds like an awful idea. And yet I feel inclined to try it. I have everything I need but the mountain dew sitting around already…

Interesting. I just tried to brew a batch of “hard Pepsi” recently but the yeast never took off. I am assuming it was from the pH being so low since I did my best to shake out as much CO2 as possible. I suppose the pH must be too much of an issue here since it is diluted with wort.

I must admit, I am morbidly curious here. I might have to pull off a quart or two of my next saison and blend it with a few cans of Dew.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com