Mosaic Wheat Ale

I have an ounce of Mosaic sitting in my freezer that I need to use up. I am thinking of brewing a light American Wheat ale to get rid of it. My plan is relatively simple.

5 lbs 2 row
3 lbs wheat malt
1 lbs flaked wheat
.5 lbs rice hulls

.5 oz for 60
.25 for 10
.25 at flame out

This is at 1.045 with 25 IBUs. I am also contemplating dryhopping the beer with additional Mosaic.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Dan

I my self like to add a alittle muinich to am wheats. My only question why the flaked wheat is it for more haze or better head on your beer or more mouth feel. Question two what yeast will you use

I agree that Munich does a great job bringing out the bready quality of wheat in beers. I am aiming for more of a light, crisp, slightly tart beer, so Munich might not fit the bill. The flakes wheat is there for haze and head retention. I am thinking that .5 lbs should be enough.

The yeast will be Wyeast 1010 American wheat.

Wyeast1010 is a great yeast. I really like it, ferments strong little dry and little tart low esters. Mosaic hops have great aroma’s pine, mango, lemon , citrus and some say blueberry but I never got any of that from them. You will have to let us know how this recipe turns out. I’m interested to know.

I just brewed an American Wheat IPA this weekend with mosaic as well although I used citra and simcoe along with the mosaic. What I am trying to do is get sort of a citrus/mellon/berry thing going because I want the beer to be somewhat refreshing although the O.G. of the stuff is 1.062. I guess I’ll see what happens here as I’ve only use mosaic once before. That stuff is very different than most other hops I’ve messed with and my first take was that it could be a little much if not mixed with something that will take a little off the intense berry/fruity thing. I’ll be interested to hear your expereinces. :cheers:

I have brewed about 8 beers with Mosaic hops. Mosaic hops mix well with Simcoe. Mosaic is a daughter of Simcoe. A lot of same aroma’s. I also made my Ipa’s with both hops. They turned out very well. I also done few Pale ales with just Mosaic that were really good. One pale ale and another ipa I used palisade and mosaic together and both were amazing… and last I brewed a dry stout with Kent goldings and mosaic that turned out. Very very amazing…

I made the beer this morning while cleaning out the basement (I have an electric stove in the basement). Everything went well, except that I miscalculated my water usage a bit and had an extra 2-3 quarts. My OG was 1.040. I would probably be close to 1.045 if I didn’t make the mistake.

Everything seems to be just what I expected. The only question I have left is whether to dry hop this beer with an extra ounce of Mosaic.

Dan

[quote=“CTDan”]I made the beer this morning while cleaning out the basement (I have an electric stove in the basement). Everything went well, except that I miscalculated my water usage a bit and had an extra 2-3 quarts. My OG was 1.040. I would probably be close to 1.045 if I didn’t make the mistake.

Everything seems to be just what I expected. The only question I have left is whether to dry hop this beer with an extra ounce of Mosaic.

Dan[/quote]
You always could have boiled down alittle to meet you OG. On the dry hop. That’s up to you I myself would say sure why not

The gravity is close enough and meets BJCP guidelines. Yes, I could have boiled it down, but that would risk pot caramelization, which you don’t want in a crip, clean, tart beer. It would probably also have extracted more acids from the hops resulting in a hoppier beer.

Dry hopping is a possibility, but I am going back and forth on whether it will bee too much for the style.