Mosaic IPA question

I have the ingredients on hand to brew the all grain Mosaic IPA but I’m a little worried about the recipe as is. From what I’ve read about mosaic, it is a super strong fruity tasting hop which sounds good to me but I don’t want to make a “fruit beer” if you catch my drift. Have any of you guys done this kit or used this hop by itself in a smash beer or something? I have lots of other hops to add in if need be. I’m curious as to the bitterness of this ipa as I like them very bitter. Any feedback would be great!

:cheers:

Not a fruit beer. When you hear about flavors in hops (citrus, pine, mint, etc) it is within the context of how hops smell/taste. No one will mistake an IPA for a fruit beer even with the most fruity of hops.

I’m drinking an all-Mosaic IPA right now. Not the kit you referenced, but it has 70+ IBUs of Mosaic in it and I can guarantee that it would not be mistaken for a fruit beer. It’s an incredibly potent hop - let it shine through!

I personally like my hop-forward beers (with the possible exception of mid/lower gravity APA’s) to have at least SOME dank/allium character to round out the fruitiness. As above ‘fruitiness’ is speaking solely toward hop-derived fruit aroma/flavor. My current IPA is centennial/amarillo/apollo and it is a citrus/stone fruit bomb with a great rolling bitterness. The only way I would improve it is to add some CTZ/Chinook in the mix.

That being said, Mosaic is one of the hops (like Centennial) that can make a great single-hop beer. I would brew it with all Mosaic and see how you like it and tweak the recipe next time.

Thanks for the replies. I understand the difference of an ipa and an actual fruit beer and maybe didn’t put into context what I really meant. I’m doing the recipe as is…actually heating strike water right now (3:00 am est). I been very excited to try this recipe and will be happy to post results when they are in.

My mosaic ipa has been kegged for 9 days now and we tapped it Sunday night during that awesome Steelers game. Wow!! HUGE peach aroma right from the tap and a semi sweet peach taste with a decent bitterness to it. I definitely like it as is but was expecting some other flavors going on as well. I’m thinking it may change as time goes by but this keg will not last long at all. I’d say I’m def a fan of the Mosaic hop and looking forward to brewing the recipe again with maybe a bigger 60 min addition!

Thanks for all the feedback gentlemen! Happy New Year!

[quote=“brewmanchu”]My mosaic ipa has been kegged for 9 days now and we tapped it Sunday night during that awesome Steelers game. Wow!! HUGE peach aroma right from the tap and a semi sweet peach taste with a decent bitterness to it. I definitely like it as is but was expecting some other flavors going on as well. I’m thinking it may change as time goes by but this keg will not last long at all. I’d say I’m def a fan of the Mosaic hop and looking forward to brewing the recipe again with maybe a bigger 60 min addition!

:cheers: [/quote]
Just curious, what your hop schedule/IBUs were?

I have done an all mosaic ipa and was pretty much a smash beer, only had a little crystal for color. My tasting notes were “passion fruit with blueberries and then it turns to grapefruit and then lemon.”

I used a total of 8 oz of hops and 4 of those were a double dry hop. 5 gal batch.

Just an update on my Mosaic IPA. It’s been kegged for close to 1 month now and the strong peach flavor has subsided and now I’m getting hints of grapefruit possibly. It was good when first tapped but has gotten even better over the past couple of weeks. I’m loving this hop variety so far!

[quote=“dannyboy58”][quote=“brewmanchu”]My mosaic ipa has been kegged for 9 days now and we tapped it Sunday night during that awesome Steelers game. Wow!! HUGE peach aroma right from the tap and a semi sweet peach taste with a decent bitterness to it. I definitely like it as is but was expecting some other flavors going on as well. I’m thinking it may change as time goes by but this keg will not last long at all. I’d say I’m def a fan of the Mosaic hop and looking forward to brewing the recipe again with maybe a bigger 60 min addition!

:cheers: [/quote]
Just curious, what your hop schedule/IBUs were?[/quote]

Hop schedule was same as our host’s recipe:

1oz @ 60
1oz @ 30
2oz @ flameout
2oz dryhop

I did not see the original post on this peach flavor, did you happen to use US-05 for the yeast? If so, that is possibly where the peach came from.

I did not see the original post on this peach flavor, did you happen to use US-05 for the yeast? If so, that is possibly where the peach came from.[/quote]

I did use us-05 and I’ve heard of the peachy esters it may produce but this was a HUGE peach flavor and aroma. I used this yeast at least a dozen times and have never drawn the flavor/aroma that it produced in this batch. It wasn’t a bad thing but not exactly what I was hoping for whilst brewing. The profile now is closer to what I expected.

If your looking for a good craft example and are able to get Southern Tier check out their 2xOne, IMO it’s a beautiful beer using Mosaic hops. The basically use Cargill and Mosaic and that’s all.