More IPA talk

working on an IPA where I want the malt profile to have a sweet buttery taste, I thought it would work well with Citra or Sorachi Ace aroma and flavoring hops…maybe I’m crazy, but this is what I thought:
80% rahr 2-row
9% - honey malt
9% - biscuit malt

my friend who taught me to brew, said this would come out terrible and that biscuit malt is a no-no is an IPA…perhaps he’s right, but i don’t like to go on one person’s opinion, so i’m just curious what other people think. thank you.

A half-lb of honey and up to a lb of biscuit could work, but 9% of each will be overpowering.

+1

that does make more sense, would i then use some caramel malt for additional color?

Crystal for color, flavor, and body - depends on the style of IPA, the yeast, and the IBUs.

9% of what?
My IPA recipe calls for 8-9 pounds of grains so 9% would be less than a pound.

hmmm…so how about something like this

10lbs - american 2-row (83%)
.5 lb - honey malt (4%)
.5 lb - biscuit malt (4%)
.5 lb - carapils/dextrine (4%)
.5lb - americal crystal/40L (4%)

Mash on the low side (148-150F) and use something like US-05 or WLP007 to keep the FG down, then get your IBUs to at least match the OG and I think you’d be making beer.[quote=“Rookie L A”]9% of what? My IPA recipe calls for 8-9 pounds of grains so 9% would be less than a pound.[/quote]I was figuring at least 12 lbs for an IPA (75% efficiency, minimum OG of 1.060), so the OP would have been using at least a lb of each and that much honey malt in particular would make a really cloying beer for my taste.