More efficient process, less lifting

Like was mentioned before, you still have to move the fermentor around. I was thinking two smaller fermenters then just blend after fermentation.

Kinda off topic, but I do this occasionally for other reasons. Last year I brewed 10gals of a Belgian Wit. Fermented one with Forbidden Fruit and the other with Wit yeast, then blended them together. Was my best Wit yet!

I’ve also done this when experimenting with fermentation temps. I split a wheat beer and fermented both with 3068. One fermented at 60F, the other at 70F. I bottled 1/2 of each and then blended the balance together and bottled. It was cool to taste all three side by side. The blend was the best.

I also do this when adding extras like oak. Especially if I’m not sure how much or how long to age. This way I always have some non-dosed base beer to blend back into the oaked version if needed.

Using a brew hauler helps quite a bit. I use a better bottle type fermenter so carrying that thing without it was a nightmare. Now that I use a chest freezer as a ferm chamber it’s pretty much required to get anything in and out of there.

With a bucket I assume it’s less of an issue since you’ve got a builtin handle.

The handle on the bucket definitely helps but it is still heavy and awkward to carry down stairs. I’m thinking of switching to a better bottle and was wondering just that.

A better bottle in a brewhauler is ever more awkward. you have to carry it with 2 hands and in front of you while walking down stairs.

A better bottle in a brewhauler is ever more awkward. you have to carry it with 2 hands and in front of you while walking down stairs.[/quote]
Hmm, not sure I agree here. Carrying a 50-ish pound bucket to the side forces you to walk off balance. I find this makes my back hurt more. And you have to take the basement stairs sideways which always makes me feel vulnerable to a fall.
The 2 hands in front carry leaves me with slightly burning biceps, but a straight shot down the steps and a happy back. It also let’s me get my legs more involved in the lifting.
And isn’t a back complaint what got this started?

A better bottle in a brewhauler is ever more awkward. you have to carry it with 2 hands and in front of you while walking down stairs.[/quote]
Hmm, not sure I agree here. Carrying a 50-ish pound bucket to the side forces you to walk off balance. I find this makes my back hurt more. And you have to take the basement stairs sideways which always makes me feel vulnerable to a fall.
The 2 hands in front carry leaves me with slightly burning biceps, but a straight shot down the steps and a happy back. It also let’s me get my legs more involved in the lifting.
And isn’t a back complaint what got this started?[/quote]
I carry the kettle downstairs and transfer in the basement. There is no wind down there so less risk of something wild finding its way in my beer.

[quote=“JMcK”]Hmm, not sure I agree here. Carrying a 50-ish pound bucket to the side forces you to walk off balance. I find this makes my back hurt more. And you have to take the basement stairs sideways which always makes me feel vulnerable to a fall.
And isn’t a back complaint what got this started?[/quote]

My back issues stem more from the lifting than the carrying. Once I’m in a vertical position I’m golden. I just think its awkward to carry anything in front of you while walking down the stairs. You either have to walk bow-legged or your risk banging your knee into the fermenter with each step. With a bucket though, there’s always that concern in the back of my head that the handle is gonna give out. Never had it happen but it scares me nonetheless.

How about one of those lifting staps. I used them to move a fridge once.they go around your shoulders . Probably make one out of webbing and a couple carribiners. You could use it on your pot and your brew hauler. I think I’m going to try to make one.