Moldy Freezer Cleanout - Hops A'Plenty

I finally donned my hazmat suit and dove into the dead freezer/lager unit/hops storage. Light whitish grey film on everything and a little black mildew/mold looking gunk in the creases and corners. Pulled out all the hops and tossed a few pounds of very old ones right off the bat.

There was only one keg of schwarzbier in there and a 5 lb gas cyl. Left the keg and cylinder inside and sprayed it all down good with a bleach mix and closed it back up. I’ll drag it outside and hose it off tomorrow when it’s nicer then open the freezer up and see if there’s anything I can do with the repair. Otherwise, I guess I’ll wait until things settle down and find a freezer. Nothing on craigslist right now but a very very small one.

I filled the sink with water and a cup of bleach and dunked all the sealed bags of hops in it then wiped them down good in case of mold. I have a few bags that I’ve resealed that seem to have lost the seal and inflated a little. I dunked them too just to see what would happen. No moisture got inside that I could tell…I’m wondering if it’s the cheaper bag material I bought once and it just allows air to seep in over time?

So here’s the list of what I have. Some are fairly old. Would you use hops from 2013 that have been sealed and stored in the freezer? I’ve used 3-4 year old ones in the past and just bumped the amount a little. The * indicates bags that inflated a bit. Less than I thought I had. Only about 10 lbs.

Centennial 2018 - 1 lb nitro sealed
BRU 1 2017 1 lb nitro sealed
GR Magnum 2018 1 lb still fact sealed
Chinook* 2013 3/4lb
UK Fuggles 2 oz factory sealed
Citra 2015 - 1/2lb
Amarillo* - no date pre2015ish - 1/2lb
Simcoe* - 2015 - 8oz
Mosaic* 2016 - 3/4lb
Czech saaz 2017 - 1/2 lb
Cluster* 2014 - 3/4lb
EKG* 2017ish - 3/4 lb
Cascade* 2017 - 3/4lb
Premiant CZ 2017 - 12oz - Saaz bred hops factory sealed

Jee your a pack rat, who what have thought it. When was the last last time you opened it?

3 Likes

Not long ago. I’m in there all the time but some things were on the bottom of the pile. I use a lot of magnum, centennial and noble hops. Others I tend to buy a lb when I hear about it. Use it one brew and go back to my faves. The BRU 1??? I had to look up! Now I know why I have it. I’ll have to try some in a quarantine IPA or something.

Well, I’m kind of a cheap SB so I’d use 'em, especially given the current situation. :mask::money_mouth:

2 Likes

If they look and smell good then I’d have no issue using them.

1 Like