Mixing Hops - Any Experience

I am working on my second recipe (extract) from scratch which I plan on brewing this weekend. It will be a “Hoppy Irish Red” or basically a Red IPA using Irish Ale Wyeast. Here is what I plan on doing for my hop schedule. Any input on mixing these hops or experience with them creating off flavors together would be appreciated.

1.5oz East Kent Golding @ 60 min
0.5oz East Kent Golding @ 30 min
0.5oz Amarillo @ 20 min
1.0oz Summit @ 10 min
0.5oz Amarillo @ 10 min
0.5oz Amarillo @ flameout (20 min rest)

Unfortunately I have not bought the hops yet so I do not know the true AA yet but built this using the default AA units in Beersmith2.0. I know once I purchase them there will be a little tweaking to do.

Thanks for any input!

If it was my beer and I was set on using those three hops, I would bitter with the Summit, skip the 30-min addition entirely (since you’re doing a hopstand), and then use the EKG and Amarillo late.

I would have to agree with Shade’s response.

One technique I’ve been using with some of my hoppier beers is to blend all the hops together and add a portion throughout the boil. I’d still bitter with the summit, but then blend the EKG and Amarillo together and add some at 20-10-5-flame out. Not sure if this would work well with those two hops, but it works great with several similar hops (like American citrus hops).

Thanks for the advice. I am still learning bittering vs aroma vs dual purpose so I appreciate it. Unfortunately the EKG is the only one of those hops that was my first choice. Looking at my LHBS online inventory they are out of a lot of hops right now. I want to brew this weekend so I don’t really have time to order online.

I plan on buying a little extra of everything when I hit the HBS and then playing with the recipe once I have more accurate info.

Thanks again.

kent goldings seems like a waste upfront for bittering and save it for the last 15’ somewhere for the aroma it lends.

I’ll echo the other recommendations to use the Summit for bittering and move the EKG’s towards the end. In particular, I’d split the flameout addition between Amarillo and EKG, or even do them in a 2:1 ratio of EKG to Amarillo. This is a hop combo I’ve been wanting to play with (EKG’s plus Amarillo or another west-coast style hop), so please report back with your results.

Just what I was thinking, too.

So I went to the HBS & this is what I ended up with after putting everything into beersmith & tweaking the recipe:

1.0oz Simcoe (13.7AA) @ 60 min
0.5oz US Golding (5.5AA) @ 15 min
0.5oz US Golding (5.5AA) @ 10 min
0.5oz Amarillo (8.5AA) @ 5 min
1.5oz Amarillo (8.5AA) @ 0 min (rest for 20 min)

The recipe calculator says I should end up somewhere between 54 & 60 IBU

On a side note, the HBS had just gotten in a shipment of Citra today. I have not used these hops before but picked up 3oz for future use as people seem to rave about them & it sounds like they are sometimes hard to find.

EDIT: Is that too much Simcoe up front for the 60 min at 13.7AA? Maybe cut that back to 0.5oz?

That 60min addition is only going to give you bitterness. Some would say that’s a waste of good simcoe. Maybe bitter with 1/2oz simcoe. Then add the rest somewhere in during the last 15min. I’d also suggest going back and forth between your Golding and Amarillo additions. Something like

15min Golding
10min Amarillo
5min Golding
0min Amarillo and Simcoe

I’d also advocate blending the 3 together and just adding a little bit of the mixture during the last 20min. 20, 15, 10, 5, 0min. As I mentioned earlier. I’ve done this several times and I’ve really liked the results that I’ve gotten with APAs and IPAs. Just a suggestion.

Thanks Dobe. I like the idea of mixing them all together and using the blend in intervals. I will probably give that a shot. I just have to figure out how I am going to put that into the recipe so I can track it if I like it.

It’s funny, some would say a waste of good simcoe, other in the thread say a waste of good golding. I was under the impression that using the high AA hops up front for bittering was the way to go. It is obviously all in the eye of the beholder. I am kind of learning what I like to use when by trial and error. All of the input is appreciated.

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]
It’s funny, some would say a waste of good simcoe, other in the thread say a waste of good golding. I was under the impression that using the high AA hops up front for bittering was the way to go. [/quote]

:lol: I think it comes down to if you can use the same high AA hops for aroma. I typically would
“waste” bittering hops that have little aroma value…like magnum or warrior. Have fun!

It takes a little time to enter it all, but here’s how the hop schedules looked for the last 3 beers I made using this method.

This one used 1oz each blended together and split up over the 3 additions (+ magnum for bittering)

Usage 	Time 	OZ 			AA » IBU

Icon boil 60 min ½ German Magnum ~ pellet 11.3 » 20.9
Icon boil 15 min ¼ Cascade ~ pellet 6.4 » 2.9
Icon boil 15 min ¼ Centennial ~ pellet 9.9 » 4.5
Icon boil 15 min ¼ Citra ~ pellet 14.4 » 6.6
Icon boil 5 min ¼ Cascade ~ pellet 6.4 » 1.2
Icon boil 5 min ¼ Centennial ~ pellet 9.9 » 1.8
Icon boil 5 min ¼ Citra ~ pellet 14.4 » 2.6
Icon boil 1 min ½ Cascade ~ pellet 6.4 » 0.5
Icon boil 1 min ½ Centennial ~ pellet 9.9 » 0.8
Icon boil 1 min ½ Citra ~ pellet 14.4 » 1.1

Here’s another that looks confusing on the surface, but it’s just 1oz each of Centennial, Perle, Nugget and 2oz Crystal, blended and split up over all the additions.

Icon boil 60 min 0.2 Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 7.1
Icon boil 60 min 0.4 Crystal ~ pellet 3.5 » 4.9
Icon boil 60 min 0.2 German Perle ~ pellet 8.0 » 5.6
Icon boil 60 min 0.2 Nugget ~ pellet 12.6 » 8.9
Icon boil 20 min 0.2 Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 4.3
Icon boil 20 min 0.4 Crystal ~ pellet 3.5 » 3.0
Icon boil 20 min 0.2 German Perle ~ pellet 8.0 » 3.4
Icon boil 20 min 0.2 Nugget ~ pellet 12.6 » 5.4
Icon boil 1 min 0.6 Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 0.9
Icon boil 1 min 1.2 Crystal ~ pellet 3.5 » 0.6
Icon boil 1 min 0.6 German Perle ~ pellet 8.0 » 0.7
Icon boil 1 min 0.6 Nugget ~ pellet 13.0 » 1.2

And this last one looks VERY confusing. This is for a DFH My Antonia clone. Its magnum, simcoe, saaz blended together and about 2tbsp added every 10min. I actually added little less than 1tbsp every 5min throughout the boil to try and duplicate DFH’s continuous hopping schedule that they like to do for most (all?) of their beers.

Icon boil 60 min ⅛ Czech Saaz ~ pellet 3.2 » 2.1
Icon boil 60 min 0.1 Magnum ~ pellet 11.6 » 6.1
Icon boil 60 min 0.1 Simcoe ~ pellet 12.5 » 6.6
Icon boil 50 min ⅛ Czech Saaz ~ pellet 3.2 » 2.0
Icon boil 50 min 0.1 Magnum ~ pellet 11.6 » 5.8
Icon boil 50 min 0.1 Simcoe ~ pellet 12.5 » 6.3
Icon boil 40 min ⅛ Czech Saaz ~ pellet 3.2 » 1.9
Icon boil 40 min 0.1 Magnum ~ pellet 11.6 » 5.4
Icon boil 40 min 0.1 Simcoe ~ pellet 12.5 » 5.8
Icon boil 30 min ⅛ Czech Saaz ~ pellet 3.2 » 1.6
Icon boil 30 min 0.1 Magnum ~ pellet 11.6 » 4.7
Icon boil 30 min 0.1 Simcoe ~ pellet 12.5 » 5.1
Icon boil 20 min ⅛ Czech Saaz ~ pellet 3.2 » 1.3
Icon boil 20 min 0.1 Magnum ~ pellet 11.6 » 3.7
Icon boil 20 min 0.1 Simcoe ~ pellet 12.5 » 4.0
Icon boil 10 min ⅛ Czech Saaz ~ pellet 3.2 » 0.8
Icon boil 10 min 0.1 Magnum ~ pellet 11.6 » 2.2
Icon boil 10 min 0.1 Simcoe ~ pellet 12.5 » 2.4
Icon boil 5 min ⅛ Czech Saaz ~ pellet 3.2 » 0.4
Icon boil 5 min 0.1 Magnum ~ pellet 11.6 » 1.2
Icon boil 5 min 1 Simcoe ~ pellet 12.5 » 13.2
Icon boil 1 min ⅛ Czech Saaz ~ pellet 3.2 » 0.1
Icon boil 1 min 0.1 Magnum ~ pellet 11.6 » 0.3
Icon boil 1 min 0.1 Simcoe ~ pellet 12.5 » 0.3
Icon dry hop 7 days ½ Czech Saaz ~ pellet 3.2 » 0.0
Icon dry hop 7 days ¼ Magnum ~ pellet 11.6 » 0.0
Icon dry hop 7 days ¼ Simcoe ~ pellet 12.5 » 0.0

That is great Dobe. I love this damn forum!

Now, do you split the hops up separately (either by weight or by number of pellets) and add them at each interval or is it a little more rough than that? Like throw them all in a bag, shake it up and say they are distributed evenly?

[quote=“pinnah”][quote=“GeerBoggles”]
It’s funny, some would say a waste of good simcoe, other in the thread say a waste of good golding. I was under the impression that using the high AA hops up front for bittering was the way to go. [/quote]

:lol: I think it comes down to if you can use the same high AA hops for aroma. I typically would
“waste” bittering hops that have little aroma value…like magnum or warrior. Have fun![/quote]

That makes sense. This is a little too fun though. I have been at work for an hour and a half and haven’t replied to a single email yet!

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]That is great Dobe. I love this damn forum!

Now, do you split the hops up separately (either by weight or by number of pellets) and add them at each interval or is it a little more rough than that? Like throw them all in a bag, shake it up and say they are distributed evenly?[/quote]

For the first one on my list I weighed out each hop for each addition since there were only 3 additions and 3 hops. For the other 2 recipes, I weighed all the hops out, blended them up in a coffee grinder and then weighed out the total weight for each addition. Not exactly scientific, but I have to assume they were blended up pretty evenly.

[quote=“GeerBoggles”][quote=“pinnah”][quote=“GeerBoggles”]

“waste” bittering hops that have little aroma value…like magnum or warrior. Have fun![/quote]

That makes sense. This is a little too fun though. I have been at work for an hour and a half and haven’t replied to a single email yet![/quote]

+1 to using low aroma, but high AA hops for bittering. Magnum is my go to bittering hop.

Brewed on Saturday. This was my final hop bill:

0.5oz Simcoe - 60 min
0.1oz Simcoe - 20 min
0.2oz US Golding - 20 min
0.4oz Amarillo - 20 min
0.1oz Simcoe - 15 min
0.2oz US Golding - 15 min
0.4oz Amarillo - 15 min
0.1oz Simcoe - 10 min
0.2oz US Golding - 10 min
0.4oz Amarillo - 10 min
0.1oz Simcoe - 5 min
0.2oz US Golding - 5 min
0.4oz Amarillo - 5 min
0.1oz Simcoe - flameout (20 min rest)
0.2oz US Golding - flameout (20 min rest)
0.4oz Amarillo - flameout (20 min rest)

Bubbling away nicely at right around 64 degrees. Fermentation started about 30 minutes after I pitched the yeast.