Mixed Gas Cylinder

So… I got a 20 lb cylinder of mixed gas for free! CO2 & Nitrogen. It was used for beer prior to me getting it.

Sweet score! :smiley:

It’s the type of cylinder that has a “female” adapter on the tank and requires a “male” regulator. Exact opposite of the current CO2 set up I have all around.

Can I / Should I use this at home for my regular beers? Mostly, APA/IPA/Lagers/occasional stouts? Is there any difference in the gas itself for these type beers? Pretty sure this was used commercially for Guinness prior to me getting it.

I’m sure my Oatmeal Stout would be really nice with this gas but… I don’t drink that many stouts. It may take me years to go through what’s left in the tank.

I might be able to score the appropriate regulator for this but… if I can’t, I’m not sure I feel like popping $80 for a regulator for something I don’t drink that often.

Maybe I should just swap it for a regular CO2 tank at the “filling shop”?

All thought and ideas are helpful.

Thanks!

I believe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.kegoutlet.com/co2-regulator- ... 4AodzWEACQ

You want a nitrogen regulator if I am correct. That gas is usually higher psi.

Not true it’s the same regulator just the gauges and end going to the tank are different.

CO2 gauges go from 0-2000 and nitrogen gauges from 0-3000 psi.

Great. Thanks for the responses and info.

Can I use this gas to carbonate as well as to “push” \ dispense?

I thought I read somewhere that this gas was not to be used for carbonating the beer.

Thanks again

You can use it to carbonate the beer, but it will have a different affect. I think you would want a nitrogen tap as well to make full use of the beer gas.

It’s recommended to carb the beer with CO2 in a low volume first. Beer gas is about 3 times more expensive.

Without a stout faucet your not going to notice to much difference in your beer.

Great. :smiley:

Thanks for all the help!!!

[quote=“Duder”]Great. Thanks for the responses and info.

Can I use this gas to carbonate as well as to “push” \ dispense?

I thought I read somewhere that this gas was not to be used for carbonating the beer.

Thanks again[/quote]

Some bars will use a nitrogen mix to push regular beers. If they have a long beer line, they can “up” the pressure to get the beer to the tap. But because nitrogen doesn’t go into solution, the beer doesn’t become over carbonated.

So you need to carbonate with straight CO2 or sugar. Then you can push it with the N mix.

[quote=“chuck”]It’s recommended to carb the beer with CO2 in a low volume first. Beer gas is about 3 times more expensive.

Without a stout faucet your not going to notice to much difference in your beer.[/quote]

I guess I was mistaken about the “Beer Gas” as I thought was used for nitrogen taps to allow for carbonation but give the Nitrogen head.

Sweet score of the day… mixed gas regulator! :smiley:

I’ll probably just use this gas to push and still carbonate with CO2? Right?

It’s free too me so… is there any “harm” carbonating with this gas?

Thanks again.

http://byo.com/stories/techniques/artic ... gen-effect

Have a read here.

Thanks! Great info.

Like I mentioned before, you can “carbonate” with the beer gas. The nitrogen doesn’t go into solution like the CO2 does. So the beer will be flat.

You could carbonate with CO2 like normal. And see if putting 30-40psi of beer gas mix pushing it changes the taste/texture of the beer. Of course, you will need to lengthen the line to compensate for the higher pressure or you will get a glass of foam.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Like I mentioned before, you can “carbonate” with the beer gas. The nitrogen doesn’t go into solution like the CO2 does. So the beer will be flat.

You could carbonate with CO2 like normal. And see if putting 30-40psi of beer gas mix pushing it changes the taste/texture of the beer. Of course, you will need to lengthen the line to compensate for the higher pressure or you will get a glass of foam.[/quote]

I had a stout faucet and a nitro tank I just carbonated to a volume of around 1.5 with CO2 then put it on tap at around 30 psi using the same length hose about 6 ft that I always used never had a foam problem

[quote=“chuck”][quote=“Nighthawk”]Like I mentioned before, you can “carbonate” with the beer gas. The nitrogen doesn’t go into solution like the CO2 does. So the beer will be flat.

You could carbonate with CO2 like normal. And see if putting 30-40psi of beer gas mix pushing it changes the taste/texture of the beer. Of course, you will need to lengthen the line to compensate for the higher pressure or you will get a glass of foam.[/quote]

I had a stout faucet and a nitro tank I just carbonated to a volume of around 1.5 with CO2 then put it on tap at around 30 psi using the same length hose about 6 ft that I always used never had a foam problem[/quote]

Chuck taught me this a long time ago and it works great. It is also basically the standard procedure described in the Classic Beer Styles volume “Stout” (worth reading), although psi will change a bit depending on serving temp of your kegerator. I normally would start at 28 psi beer gas to dispense and adjust upwards a couple pounds if needed. I haven’t hooked up my nitro tap recently but it sounds like a good idea!