Hi all, I’ve been a long-time lurker, and just got around to brewing my first batch. All in all, I’m pretty happy with it, though I made a few rookie mistakes and would like to know how to proceed from here.
The kit was NB Caribou Slobber extract with the Danstar Nottingham yeast. Brew day went very smoothly, fermentation started right up, and temperatures stayed in the mid-60’s throughout.
I made three mistakes, however.
First, I misunderstood the recipe and steeped the specialty grains off the heat just after I’d achieved a boil, removing the bag when the kettle temperature FELL to 170 degrees.
Second, five gallons of distilled water was my pre-boil volume. I’m wondering how much I lost to boil-off.
Third, I didn’t take a gravity reading before pitching.
One week later, primary fermentation has ceased, and my FG is 0.020–a little high. I’m wondering if this is because I extracted a lot of unfermentable sugars with my too-high steeping temperature, or because I’ve got less beer volume than I should.
I’ve tasted the gravity sample and it tastes great. Basically, I’m wondering if I need to do anything to encourage further attenuation, and if I should add some sterilized water to the secondary to bring the total volume up to the intended five gallons. Right now I’m inclined to just rack it to secondary and leave it alone.