Milwaukee PH55 meter information/update

Just calibrated my new ph55. When I first moved it from the 7.0 to the 4.0 I got the WRNG msg a few times. On the 3rd attempt I just let it sit in the solution after the WRNG message came up and it finally changed to 4.0 REC, the OK 2. I tried it on my tap water and got 7.8. My last water report from Ward labs was 8.1 but that was a year ago and strips showed 7.8 a few weeks ago.

I checked my mash which should have be 5.4 according to brunwater and the meter said 5.4.

I was having the same issue with my pHep5. I soaked in vinegar overnight and all is good now.
I just need to buy some electrode cleaning solution.

Thanks

I brewed yesterday and while my mash water was heating, I poured some fresh calibration solutions and my meter read them both perfectly… 4.0 and 7.0… so I did not calibrate it. I used it with confidence for the mash, sparge and kettle pH. Cheers.

So let me understand this as I am not a expert. The ph scale is what is called a phase 10 logarithmic scale. This means that 5 ph is 10x more acidic than 6 ph
5 ph is 100x more acidic than 7 ph
So this means that in graft form it would be a ever increasing curve or slope.
My question is that on the PH55 and PH56 meters with out two separate adjustments that you can control are you are taking the average of the two calibration points ? So if you adjust the 4.01 than the 7.01 the meter might change the 4.01 to average out the readings at both ends.

[quote=“Ken Lenard”]
Another brewer I know uses the MW101 and says it’s very good as well. I’m going to go along with this one for a little longer and if all signs point to ‘bad meter’, I’m chucking it and getting the MW101 instead. It would be a $50 lesson but worth it in the long run, I suppose.[/quote]

What kind of maintenance / replacement parts schedule does the MW101 have, especially in comparison to the pH55/56?

I recently bought a MW101 meter so I can’t speak on how long the parts last. The electrode seems to be the biggest problem with any PH meter. The replacment is around $38.
The 101 meter is a Analogue meter and the calibration is adjusted with two pots or offset trimmers. The 102 meter is Digital and has a Auto-Calibration operation.
The 101 calibration is different then the 55. The temperature of the buffer solution is measured and the temperature knob on the meter is set to this.
Then the 4.01 is adjusted with the 4.01 pot. Then the7.01 is adjusted the same way. A temperature versus ph chart is also included.
Once I went through the calibration procedure it is easy and I like the idea of using the pots to manually adjust. The meter seems to hold the calibration for days if not more.