Mill gap setting?

So, after getting extremely frustrated enough with my Captain Crush after 3 years, I broke down and purchased a Monster Mill MM3. I am going to borrow a set of feeler gauges from work tomorrow to set my gap before my first attempt to use it this weekend. YouTube setup guide recommends 40/1000’s gap for initial setting. On the Captain Crush I never measured but set at the indicators of 3 on top and 2 on bottom and was getting right around 75% efficiency. What does everyone set their gaps at so I can determine where to start?

:beers:
Rad

I have a MM3, and have it set to 0.032”. Mash tun with bazooka tube, no issues.

I always crushed at .030 with m cereal killer using my tun never a problem. .025 for biab. .040 seems awfully wide. Who recommended that gap

I have a JSP and have my gap set at .032 as well. I use a traditional MT with falsebottom.

I have the same mill. Doesn’t seem to like the smaller gap. Last weekend I did three beers set at .035 and got 77-81% efficiency using biab. Tried setting it at .030 but couldn’t get it to grab my grain and crush it. Hope this helps

How long have you had that issue? I’ve had mine for several years, and I’ve recently had feeding issues. I think it’s because I had dust build-up on the top non-driven roller, and as soon as I cleaned it off really well it has worked flawlessly since.

This was my first time using it. I may have had the bolts a little misaligned. It chews up the grain really well now, I was going to try adjusting to .030 again with my next batch this weekend. When I first loaded it, it didn’t want to budge and the drill would bind up and force up against my hand with a lot of force. I than began feeding it while running and it worked for a little while but what’s the point of doing that? It nearly takes both my hands just to control the drill with this beast mill. It’s well built.

I guess it’s different since it’s basically milling twice so it’s crushing finer even at .035 I guess. Looks to be a bit overkill

I watched a youtube video on how to set it up and they said they set it at .040. Before I posted this, that’s the only thing I had to go on. Thanks for the tips! I was thinking from previous threads on here it might be too large as well. I’ll give .032 a shot and see how it works.

Rad

Got my new MM3 in the mail this week and got to use it for the first time today. Set the gap at .032 and got 80% efficiency pre-boil. Man! I should have given up on Captain Crush years ago!! :joy: This thing is a dream and works perfectly! I started the drill and initially it wasn’t grabbing, reversed it, then tried again. Plowed through a 15 lb grain bill in under 3 minutes.

Rad

3 Likes

Bit of an update to this thread. Have to give major props to NB’s customer service team. Posted a review on our host’s site of the Captain Crush saying I was done with it. I had an email from customer service within a week asking what they could do to help and asking for details on issues I was experiencing. I explained the situation and that I had already replaced the mill. They then sent me a UPS tag for a return and gave me store credit for the full purchase value of a 4 year old mill!! :grinning: If that’s not customer service bending all the way over backwards I don’t know what is.

Rad

5 Likes

Were ankles grabbed?

2 Likes