Melodian malt. Vs biscuit

Me do use biscuit malt. Most the time. Sort of like it. About 15% in the grain bill. But now thinking. About starting to use melodian malt. Got lots of that. But been reading. About melodian. But can not find. How much to use for a 10 gal batch.

Here’s a reference: Brewing Malts, Their Characteristics and Uses For The Homebrewer - Winning Homebrew

I use Melanoidin in a couple of my brews at anywhere from 2% to 9% of the grist.

2 Likes

Kind of depends on what you’re looking to get out of it for me. I’m not a fan of overly busy grist bills so I don’t use either very often. I’ve only used them in specific beers for specific reasons. Recently thought of using melanoidin in a red ale for coloring but I think of it as adding too much residual sweetness along with the color.

1 Like

That was a good read Noob! I’ll spend more time there dreaming up grain bills for future brews!! Sneezles61

The only time I have ever used melanoidin malt was in my hefeweizen I brewed up last year in place of a decoction. Dug around and found This Thread. I looked into my notes and used 3%.

I toss a little biscuit in my pumpkin beer every year for a bit of crusty flavor, but again it’s a pretty low percentage.

:beers:
Rad

How did the hefe turn out?

I’m actually going to try it again this spring. I had a comedy of errors for brewday, but it turned out pretty good for a first attempt.

Thread

:innocent:

:beers:
Rad

Yea I found the thread right after I asked. Thanks!