Megapot 1.2 vs. Boilermaker

I know its an incredibly subjective topic, but I am in the market for a brew kettle and want to get one that will last. I don’t PLAN on ever going to 10gal batches so I will be looking at 10gal total volume kettles. I plan on eventually going all grain but for right now this will just be for extract brewing. A megapot of the same volume with brewmometer and ball valve is half the price of a blichmann.

So given that, can anyone convince me it’s worth the extra money to go with a blichmann? I could buy lots of cool stuff with that extra $200+

Uh, I’m not sure where you got a $200 difference…
10gal Megapot 1.2 w/ ball valve & thermometer is $250
10gal Boilermaker w/ ball valve & thermometer is $330

I own a boilermaker and I’ve scrutinized the 1.2 Megapots in person. Here’s my $0.02:

• Boilermaker has superior volume measurement with the sight glass. It's subdivided into quarter-gallons, compared to the 1.0 gallon increments on the Megapot 1.2. The Boilermaker is likely easier to read, too. The Megapot 1.2 is laser-etched on the inside, and the black on dark-grey was tough to read when I was looking at it in the store. I think it'd be almost impossible read with an active boil & steam in the way.[/*]
  • Boilermaker sight glass takes extra time to clean.[/*]
  • Boilermaker ball valve is three-piece, which makes it easier to clean.[/*]
  • Boilermaker thermometer is articulated, for viewing at almost any angle.[/*]
  • Megapot 1.2 has a sandwich bottom, likely to help prevent wort scorching. From what I know, Boilermaker bottom isn't any thicker than the sides.[/*]
  • Boilermaker lid handles are large enough so that they can hang on the kettle handles. It's surprising how simple yet nice a feature this is. Megapot 1.2 handles are too small to do this.[/*]

I would look at your restaurant supply stores to see what they have available. Easy enough to put your own valve in.

[quote=“Silentknyght”]Uh, I’m not sure where you got a $200 difference…
10gal Megapot 1.2 w/ ball valve & thermometer is $250
10gal Boilermaker w/ ball valve & thermometer is $330
[/quote]

Yeah honestly I don’t know how I came up with this but was thinking it was $500. I think when I priced it out i had the false bottom and hop blocker option checked. So it’s a ~$80 difference. Of course money is always relative but do you feel the extra features of the boilermaker make it worth an extra $80?

Honestly, I would be way too afraid i would screw the thing up. That would be an expensive mistake.

[quote=“mattnaik”]
Yeah honestly I don’t know how I came up with this but was thinking it was $500. I think when I priced it out i had the false bottom and hop blocker option checked. So it’s a ~$80 difference. Of course money is always relative but do you feel the extra features of the boilermaker make it worth an extra $80?[/quote]

For me, it’s usually high-end or low-end, with little in-between. So, I’d probably either do the Boilermaker or find an el-cheapo kettle and punch in my own ball valve.

As for the boilermaker’s extras, they’re mostly nice conveniences. I measure my brewing water volumes using the sight glass (it’s accurate, at least to the quarter-gallon) and it’s nice to be able to angle the thermometer. Hanging the lid rather than putting it on the floor is also rather nice. The three-piece ball valve is stupid good, though; maybe more “mandatory” than "nice convenience. Where it counts, I won’t ever use a 2-piece valve, again. You can pick up a 3-piece valve for only $15-20, though, if you look online, so by no means is it exclusive to the Boilermaker.

The 15 Gal Megapot is the same price on this website. Just curious why wouldn’t you ever want to do 10 gal batches?

Same price as what? The 15 gal with valve and thermo is $300

I don’t think I’d ever want to make 10 gallons of beer at a time. I like brewing and I like variety. If I REALLY wanted to make 10 gallons in one day I would probably just brew twice.

I like the sandwich style bottom on a kettle. I’d save the money and go with the Megapot.

Same price as what? The 15 gal with valve and thermo is $300

I don’t think I’d ever want to make 10 gallons of beer at a time. I like brewing and I like variety. If I REALLY wanted to make 10 gallons in one day I would probably just brew twice.[/quote]

The 15 and 10 Gal were the same price, but the 15 didn’t have the thermometer so that wasn’t a fair comparison.

Really the suggestions to make your own are great. I found a Weldless Kettle Conversion Kit for $40.00 and a SS pot on Amazon for $133.00 (actually found some much cheaper) Also some brew supply places sell the pots predrilled with one or 2 holes.

I have a friend who is a serious master brewer and he brews 11 gallon batches. I assume because there is some waste, but he get’s an awesome recipe and brews big batches for parties. I think eventually I will brew 10 gallon batches particularly in the summer for lighter ales that I will drink a lot of. For the heavier beers I agree 5 gal batches are probably better.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ba ... archidx=67

Just noticed this item while looking for other items.

Bayou Classic 8-gallon Brew Kettle, false bottom, bazaka screen, thermometer and ball valve.

Today it’s $200.

Or a 10g one for $240

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ba ... archidx=93

10g with valve, NO thermometer $160.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ba ... rchidx=110

88 bucks, Megapot 1.0

10 gallon aluminum pot, $31