Megapot 1.2 thermometer elimination

I had some trouble with the probe on the thermometer getting in the way and too much heat made the seal leak and I decided to eliminate the thermometer on my 10 gallon megapot 1.2. All you need to order is a 1/2-14 npt stainless steel pipe plug, found on Amazon, and you can use the existing hardware and o-rings from the thermometer. Hope this helps if anyone has an isssue with an immersion chiller or grain bag in their megapot with their existing thermometer in hopes of eliminating it.

1 Like

I’ve never understood the thermometer in the kettle. It gets in the way of an immersion chiller, it will tear your bag in BIAB, and since it’s getting bumped a lot from a chiller or stirring, it is usually inaccurate. It is also only a one-trick pony.

I always s suggest that you buy a thermapen. It can be used to measure strike water, mash temps, sparge temps, and kettle temps. Not to mention it’s use on the grill or in the oven. Often they are on sale, too!

How about a site glass in that hole?

1 Like

What would be the benefit in that? Just for looks? Haha pun

3 Likes

Where you have the valve at the bottom, I’ve put a TEE. There is where I put my thermometer, and soon one new setup, RTD probe… I would rather see what the actual temp is as I pump/recirc… Sneezles61

Any photos of that setup?

I’ll post a couple this W/E of how I do the TEE. Sneezles61

I had a spare thermometer and put it in the plugged threaded hole that came on my BK. It’s nice to know when you are getting close to boiling.

I use a high-tech overhead suspension system for my thermometer. No need to drill a hole or worry about fittings leaking.

I tried a variety of systems, but finally just gave up and bought this: Amazon.com

3 Likes

^^^^^^:joy::laughing::neutral_face: simple Sneezles61

1 Like