Megabrew

I’ve been hearing about this deal lately. I’m not really sure what it means for the beer industry. One of my thoughts was that if it happens and money needs to be raised and costs cut how will it affect some of the small craft breweries that InBev has been buying. I’m thinking some will close. Also venders will be strong armed more than they are already. Any thoughts?

Exactly my concerns, as well. It’s a strange time for good beer. Here in the twin cities, there are so many brewers, I have a sense of impending doom anyway since it seems impossible for the market to sustain all of them. Conglomeration of the big guys sends like it could make things even worse. Maybe a craft only distribution market will open up, or something will be done about the distribution tier altogether.

My solution is to drink locally. I have probably 20 craft breweries within 20 miles of home. 4-5 of which have at least one style they do very very well.

Then there’s my own supply which I’m quite happy with of late.

Ef megabrew.

[quote=“dannyboy58”]My solution is to drink locally. I have probably 20 craft breweries within 20 miles of home. 4-5 of which have at least one style they do very very well.

Then there’s my own supply which I’m quite happy with of late.

Ef megabrew.[/quote]

Great solution. More and more consumers are trying craft beer. It will never be more than 25-30 percent of the market IMHO but even at 15 percent nationally and rising, it definitely has their attention. Stop buying gooseweiser, Blue Point, elysian, etc, and shadow products such as “Plank road Brewery”, and support those who are truly independent. Putin’s PBR?

I think where many of the Twin Cities breweries are it may be getting filled out but I think there is A LOT more room to grow in the Twin Cities as a whole. Perhaps some reasons it isn’t perfectly representative but I was in Fort Collins, CO a month ago and there are easily over a dozen breweries for a town that is 150k people. Portland is 4x as many residents but also has ~60 breweries in Portland proper. Guess I don’t see why the Twin Cities couldn’t sustain something similar.

The Twin Cities is now at ~3 million residents. In my suburb I’d love to have a local brew pub, or even better 4-5 of them if you applied the breweries per person of Ft Collins.

My beer choices comes down to ones I enjoy. I certainly prefer to support local businesses (most certainly brewers) but if their product sucks they aren’t going to get my money beyond the first crappy pint.

I think where many of the Twin Cities breweries are it may be getting filled out but I think there is A LOT more room to grow in the Twin Cities as a whole. Perhaps some reasons it isn’t perfectly representative but I was in Fort Collins, CO a month ago and there are easily over a dozen breweries for a town that is 150k people. Portland is 4x as many residents but also has ~60 breweries in Portland proper. Guess I don’t see why the Twin Cities couldn’t sustain something similar.

The Twin Cities is now at ~3 million residents. In my suburb I’d love to have a local brew pub, or even better 4-5 of them if you applied the breweries per person of Ft Collins.

My beer choices comes down to ones I enjoy. I certainly prefer to support local businesses (most certainly brewers) but if their product sucks they aren’t going to get my money beyond the first crappy pint.[/quote]

You have a point. It just seems like every time I turn around there’s a new brewery putting out really similar styles. I’m totally with you about brewpubs, though. It’s too bad the laws seem stacked against them. There’s a huge gap in friendly local beer halls in the suburbs. I enjoy a taproom as much as the next guy, but a proper brewpub is a beautiful thing. Great Waters is probably the only one left that I can think of.

i guess SABmiller rejected InBev’s offer for now.

Looks like it’s going through. Wonder what they will call it.

Ok, I feel like I have to correct my earlier post :oops:
Beersk, on another related thread, pointed out to a forum poster that PBR was in fact still American owned. When the deal was announced in the fall of 2014 it was in fact reported that “the Russians bought PBR” by major News outlets. This was incorrect and clarified later. I never caught this…until now.

I see a 16 ounce PBR in my future when I mow the yard. Mea culpa.

[quote=“Voodoo donut”]Ok, I feel like I have to correct my earlier post :oops:
Beersk, on another related thread, pointed out to a forum poster that PBR was in fact still American owned. When the deal was announced in the fall of 2014 it was in fact reported that “the Russians bought PBR” by major News outlets. This was incorrect and clarified later. I never caught this…until now.

I see a 16 ounce PBR in my future when I mow the yard. Mea culpa.[/quote]
Voodoo:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... e_say.html

Well comrade, that really leaves it murky, doesn’t it? Nothing is ever how it seems in big business. STILL could be a Russian enterprise with shell US company out in front. Just don’t want to be on the wrong side of this with Georgia, The Ukraine, and now Syrian adventures in progress.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program…

[quote=“Voodoo donut”]Well comrade, that really leaves it murky, doesn’t it? Nothing is ever how it seems in big business. STILL could be a Russian enterprise with shell US company out in front. Just don’t want to be on the wrong side of this with Georgia, The Ukraine, and now Syrian adventures in progress.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program…[/quote]
I thought the exact same thing…