Mead recipes

Seems to me that mead is being discussed alot lately. Anyone want to share. while I don’t drink alot of the stuff it is fun to make and is a nice glucose free option. Does anyone make a hoppy mead? I’m thinking doing a boil with hop additions then add the honey at flame out then maybe some dry hops to the fermenter. Something for my celiac friends

Also how about something with lemon and ginger

The mead batch I’m currently making is a lemon ginger one. I wanted to dry hop as well but think I’m going to see how this goes on it’s own. I used white labs champagne yeast, 9 lbs of honey, 1 lb of ginger (peeled an sliced into 1/2 inch cubes), and the juice of 3 large lemons for what I thought would be 3 gallons. My OG was a little higher than I expected so I added an additional gallon of water. I also used 2 tsp of yeast nutrient, I was going to stagger but was told not to worry about it.

Excellent. That sounds like something I had in my head. Will you carbonate it? That sounds like it would be good carbonated. Almost like a ginger ale. I usually stager the nutrients but not sure it matters

I do want to carbonate I’ll probably get the fizz drops and carbonate half of it. A kegging system is my next purchase buy I’m going to be moving in a couple months so I’m brewing my last batch and I’ll get a keg system in the new place. I think I could have done a better job aerating it fermentation seemed very mild but it did its job so that’s all I’m concerned about.

On my walk today came up with another Mead recipe I’d like try. I have some orange blossom honey thought I might get some froze oj concentrate and see what I get. I’m thinking 16oz concentrate 2lbs honey and a gallon of water. I’m thinking it my need a spice not sure what. It may get some raisins as well

I have a methylgln (SP) going with cinnamon, clove, and ginger. Fermenting right now.

1 Like

The orange blossom mead i mentioned above has cloves and is in bottles ageing now as is an apple mead with cinnamon numeg and cloves.

Had to Google Methyglyn. I was thinking of using my elderflowers in a mead. I used them in an elderflower liquor which was spicey on its own i think i added some lemon to it

An Ayurvedic doctor recommended clove, cinnamon, and ginger for health issues. Already drink wine for probiotics so thought a methegln would kill two birds with one stone

How ya been. My life has been CRAZY for about two weeks

I drink herbal teas and lavender oil supplements. Your talking about home made wine? Don’t think you get t probiotics from off the shelf stuff