Maybe different

The last two brew sessions i did. Been playing with the recipy extract kits. Been adding extra pound of grains. For example. Do use the grains that did come with the kit. And be adding extra grains. For example. American 2 row malt. Now iam currius how it does come out. I know it did change the collor. Became bit lighter. Than the first time i did the recipy. Did not sample yet or check grav

Adding more malt, when steeped long enough to convert to maltose sugar, will up the ABV, and will bring in a maltier back bone to the taste party. I have played around with the specialty malts to see who brings what flavor to the party. As of late, I am playing with dark munich malt. Even though its from 8-10* lovibond, it does color in nicely and I enjoy the warm bread taste, ifn you will, too. Sneezles61

1 Like

Are you adding the 2 row to your steeping grains? Or are you doing a mini mash?

No do steeping with my extract brew . I add the extra 2 row malt to the grains in the steeping bag. But the recipy does say steep for. 20 min i do 30 min. In a separate kettle with 1.5 gallon water. But i watch the temp of the steeping water. Like a hawk .so it does not get to hot.and stays at the right temp during the whole steeping proces. Once done add to the main kettle. Might be overkill this. But do like it

1 Like