Mashtun draining issues

I use the same hose/barb for draining my kettles as well. Just made it universal so I could switch it out easily instead of having to either unscrew the barb or unscrew the hose clamp. I suppose I can see if it will stay on without a clamp. I think I’m gonna order some of that clear hose mentioned so I’ll just grab an extra barb and see how it works out.[/quote]

Hoses fit fine without clamps, I do not cross them like that as I don’t want to clean and sanitize to be used on my kettle.

rice hulls do wonders to if you were making stuff with wheat, rye, etc.
Just keep a bag of them around and throw a little in when using wheat/rye or whatever

I would make sure to check your gap next, after you do a water run and see how things go. Stip it down to just vavle, barb and hose when you do water run

1. Maybe your mill is spot on, but worth checking. My settings are crap! Crush could certainly be, and typically IS, the culprit.

2. That ratio shouldn’t cause any issues.

3. Bummer.

4. Check them out. Cheap, effective, and don’t really absorb water. I use them in every brew now. I use a lot if mashing with wheat, corn, rye, pumpkin, etc.

5. Cool.

6. Cool.

7. You’ll love the silicone hose.

Good luck!

Two possibilities:

1. The air is not entering from somewhere, it is there from the beginning but the liquid pressure is high enough when the tun is nearer full to keep the flow decent. Try to purge the hose of gas as you first open the valve. Very easy to do: just hold the end of the hose up high so the liquid would need to run up-hill to drain, then slowly lower the hose such that it will slowly fill from the valve to the end before you put the end down into your kettle.
  2. The grain bed is too tight (either from too fine a crush or because a “skin” is forming on the surface) and the liquid flow at the end is insufficient to keep the air from getting in.

It is most likely #2, but I’ve had problems with trapping air in the hose as described in #1, so purging is part of my standard process now.

OK I tried running it with the entire rig with QD but no grains. I tried as hard as I could to get the flow to stop but it continued to flow till it was almost empty. The deadspace was around 3/4 a gallon without any tipping and about 1/2 gallon if I tipped it.

One thing I did notice is it was sucking air around the tube where it was connected to the barb. I assume a hose clamp would fix that but im not sure if that would cause any problems.

I think its safe to say (at least for now) that its the crush. I’ll probably be brewing in another 3 weeks or so, ill increase the gap a little and see if that helps at all.

[quote=“mattnaik”]OK I tried running it with the entire rig with QD but no grains. I tried as hard as I could to get the flow to stop but it continued to flow till it was almost empty. The deadspace was around 3/4 a gallon without any tipping and about 1/2 gallon if I tipped it.

One thing I did notice is it was sucking air around the tube where it was connected to the barb. I assume a hose clamp would fix that but im not sure if that would cause any problems.

I think its safe to say (at least for now) that its the crush. I’ll probably be brewing in another 3 weeks or so, ill increase the gap a little and see if that helps at all.[/quote]

That seems to be an awful lot of dead space to, maybe others have almost a gallon but I have maybe 1 quart. With tipping you really should hardly have any left
Get some rice hulls if you want go crush like you are if the crush is the issue.
A hose fits on a barb pretty snug to so maybe check your sizes

Yeah it’s a 72qt cooler which is a bit big for 5 gallon brews but the idea was that I might some day move to brewing 10 gallons so I didnt want to have to buy another mashtun to accomodate. Because of this i have to deal with a little more dead space.

Yeah it’s a 72qt cooler which is a bit big for 5 gallon brews but the idea was that I might some day move to brewing 10 gallons so I didnt want to have to buy another mashtun to accomodate. Because of this i have to deal with a little more dead space.[/quote]

coolers are cheap. I have never seen a cooler size change the dead space that much, My 10g round gets the same as my, 5g and 56qt. Maybe post a picture of your manifold. Are you sure you are on a level surface when you are brewing to?
If you continue to use it just make sure you have that deadspace plugged into your default setting on beersmith or whatever program you use.

It was less an issue with cost and more of a storage issue. My wife is already pissy that I take up half of the basement and most of the garage with brewing stuff. It’s a small house :slight_smile:

Here is a picture of the inside of my empty mashtun:

[quote=“mattnaik”]It was less an issue with cost and more of a storage issue. My wife is already pissy that I take up half of the basement and most of the garage with brewing stuff. It’s a small house :slight_smile:

Here is a picture of the inside of my empty mashtun:

[/quote]

Is it just a weird picture or is that valve at a weird angle, which may cause more dead space.

The angle is 90* from the bottom of the mashtun but there is a little reservoir under the outlet. but it doesn’t really hold more than a couple fl.oz. of water.

I can’t change the geometery of the mashtun so the deadspace is just something I have to deal with.

My money is still on the crush. Everything else seems all set. Although, I didn’t see any teflon tape on your threads.

That’s an old picture. I’ve added it since my last brew.

You’ve got 3/4 gal deadspace with that set up? Have you ever put a level IN THE COOLER? Maybe the bottom is arched or not level.

thats what I thought, but that image looks wierd like the valve is at a bad angle but I guess not

Use a pound of rice hulls. $2 insurance.

I have a QD / camlock just like you do, and I have no issues. I don’t see what your problem could be, except for your crush. I also crush at or around 0.026". The one brewday in the last half-dozen or so in which I DIDN’T use rice hulls, I did experience slower lautering. They actually work!

Maybe I’ll keep the crush as is and try some rice hulls first. What ratio does everyone use for adding rice hulls to a mash? Do I need to worry about them adding to water absorption or will that be negligible?

what have you been brewing?
I usually only need rice hulls with the likes of wheat/rye etc…I never measure just throw a few handfulls in

I usually only need rice hulls with the likes of wheat/rye etc…I never measure just throw a few handfulls in[/quote]

Whether or not you are “supposed” to need them, adding them won’t hurt. I use one pound per batch, regardless of batch size, and I don’t worry about water absorption. I use one pound simply because I can buy them pre-packaged at that amount, and the convenience just makes things that much easier.

I usually only need rice hulls with the likes of wheat/rye etc…I never measure just throw a few handfulls in[/quote]

Whether or not you are “supposed” to need them, adding them won’t hurt. I use one pound per batch, regardless of batch size, and I don’t worry about water absorption. I use one pound simply because I can buy them pre-packaged at that amount, and the convenience just makes things that much easier.[/quote]

no you dont and adding them wont hurt, I just have never needed them on any beer except really heavy wheat/rye beers