Mashing Specialty Grains Ahead of Time

Hi All,
If time is tight (even with an extract kit), can I mash the base and specialty grains I want to add the day before, drain/sparge and chill them and add them to the boil when I do do the boil? For example, tomorrow I mash/steep, drain and refrigerate. Sunday I add them to the extract boil. Is this feasible?

Are you brewing in the morning?

Why not mash over night? Just be sure to wrap them up good with a sleeping bag. That is if you are using a cooler to partial mash that is.

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Hi All,
If time is tight (even with an extract kit), can I mash the base and specialty grains I want to add the day before, drain/sparge and chill them and add them to the boil when I do do the boil? For example, tomorrow I mash/steep, drain and refrigerate. Sunday I add them to the extract boil. Is this feasible?[/quote]

I think this would be fine, so long as you bring the wort to a boil after you remove the specialty grains, otherwise it would sour overnight.

FWIW, I dont really see any time saving benefit here though. It will take longer to reheat the wort cause it is chilled and such.

I think you could save more time by using two pots on brew day.
A 2 gallon pot in which you steep your grains in a gallon of water, and your brew pot.
Start heating the extract and water (minus the gallon used for steeping) in your brew pot, while steeping in the small pot. Once your done steeping just dump that into the main brew pot, which should be nearly at a boil by that point.

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Hi All,
If time is tight (even with an extract kit), can I mash the base and specialty grains I want to add the day before, drain/sparge and chill them and add them to the boil when I do do the boil? For example, tomorrow I mash/steep, drain and refrigerate. Sunday I add them to the extract boil. Is this feasible?[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve done it a number of times. I have a PM light (lite) ale recipe that uses 6 row and flaked maize. I mash them the day before, refrigerate overnight, and add it to the kettle with the extract.

Beermates,
For my next brew I’m going to steep the specialty grains separately as I have heard that before on this board. Now, what is the ideal time and temp to steep the grains? The instructions say 20 minutes, and don’t go over 170. What do other people do?
Thanks!
Chet

[quote=“chetgregg”]Beermates,
For my next brew I’m going to steep the specialty grains separately as I have heard that before on this board. Now, what is the ideal time and temp to steep the grains? The instructions say 20 minutes, and don’t go over 170. What do other people do?
Thanks!
Chet[/quote]

If it’s just a steep and there are no grains that need to be mashed, then I will add the grain to the water when I start to heat it, and pull it once the temperature hits 165ish. It will have had plenty of time to steep by the time the temp hits that range.

[quote=“erockrph”][quote=“chetgregg”]Beermates,
Thanks!
Chet[/quote]

If it’s just a steep and there are no grains that need to be mashed, then I will add the grain to the water when I start to heat it, and pull it once the temperature hits 165ish. It will have had plenty of time to steep by the time the temp hits that range.[/quote]
That’s how I always did it.

To All, thank you for your valuable input!!

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]Hi All,

Yeah, I’ve done it a number of times. I have a PM light (lite) ale recipe that uses 6 row and flaked maize. I mash them the day before, refrigerate overnight, and add it to the kettle with the extract.[/quote]

Denny, care to share the recipe?

Thanks, Mike