Mash tun or BIAB that is the question

I don’t like my mash-tun… taking up room in the garage… I did try a bag a few times and I could tell it was going to be a bit of a struggle, I think it was zwiller that mentioned the baskets, I looked and it seemed to be an answer, and it was… I’m set and happy with this…. for now! Sneezles61

That’s what I used to do also. Now I can throw the bag in a bucket and let it drain a bit and get some wort to freeze for starters. It’s all good. I think it’s great how everyone personalizes their process. I love hearing about everyone’s style

For now? I know the type a tweak here a tinker there. I do the same thing. In another year I may be doing it completely different

I’ll stay with the basket and 1 kettle, just will change to electric this spring into summer… And newer, purpose built set up… My stuff is a prototype… Sneezles61

I started into partial mash and later all grain using BIAB on the stove. I never liked handling a heavy bag of very hot and wet grain, even with help it was easy to make a bit of a mess. Last year I went the cooler mash tun direction and haven’t looked back. Lot less mess, when the mash is done, just cart the cooler (with the hot and wet grain safely inside) down to the compost pile and dump. I have a hose that I hook up to the stationary tub in the garage and give it a good hosing out with hot water, then leave it drain and dry. Less mess, less fuss in my opinion.

I don’t brew stove top. I’d make a mess also. I also use my cooler but I use a bag in my cooler so I can skip the vourlof

1 Like