Mango pale ale

It does taste like its a little higher in alcohol content.

part of the problem here is that when making a fruit beer by adding fruit, (1) you are getting the flavor of FERMENTED fruit, not fruit, and (2) the fermentation is blowing off a lot of the aromatics that make mango, well…taste like mango.

I read somewhere that what makes one fruit distinguishable from another is really the aromatic compounds, hence someone without a sense of smell would not be able to distinguish a strawberry from a pineapple.

All this being said, next time you might try making a tincture, and just soaking the mangoes in vodka for 1-2 weeks, then adding the vodka to the batch at packaging. This should preserve more of the aromatic compounds that will make your beer taste more like mangoes. You are essentially making your own extract here, so you could also add commercial extract, but I’ve heard these taste like weird sweetener a lot of the time.

Live and learn I guess.

[quote=“Pietro”]Haven’t tried this, but off the top of my head:

80% 2-row
10% melanoidin
5% crystal 20
5% crystal 40

to about 1.055 OG

.5oz Magnum or Warrior bittering
Citra and Galaxy at 20 minutes
Citra and Galaxy at 15 minutes
Citra and Galaxy at 10, 5, 0 dry hop

to about 60-70 IBU, the majority coming from late hops - the galaxy and citra will give you another layer of mango/other trop fruit

Chico/US-05 at 64*

2-3 lbs frozen, then thawed and chopped/mashed mangoes, covered in vodka for 2 weeks, add the extract to taste at bottling/kegging/serving[/quote]

Its sounds great!! i am sure its just testy and awesome. :cheers:

I made a blonde with 3 pounds of frozen mango. I didn’t get enough mango flavor for me and I use some extract. Too much mango though. 1/2 a bottle for 3.5 gallons. I ended up blending it half and half with the regular blonde ( 10 gallon batch) and scored a 39 in a competition.

i followed this recipe. one thing i did wrong was puree’d the mango a little too long. so i am noticing, a few days after bottling, when i hold the bottle against a lamp, i can see some pulp sediment. some bottles have more than others. is this sediment/mango-pulp edible?