Malt milled too fine

I just recieved a malt mill and i ran the malt through it and i have a ton of flour…the husk’s are broken up quite a bit…Is this gonna cause any major problems?

Sounds just like what mine looks like. You should be fine.

Over milling can cause a stuck sparge, as well as tannins which lead to astringency or “husky” off flavors.

What is your mill set at? Google what a good crush looks like and compare.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]Over milling can cause a stuck sparge, as well as tannins which lead to astringency or “husky” off flavors.

[/quote]

It depends on on your lautering system and the pH of your mash, mainly, though. I mill very fine, with lots of flour, and never have either problem due to my equipment and attention to water. Of course, it’s better to be safe than sorry, but hopefully the OP will be fine.

You could always add some rice hulls if you are worried, and gradually reduce them over a few batches to see if there is any problem with stuck sparges. Probably OK though.

I’ve had recent problems with stuck sparges (using a false bottom in a keg) after I motorized my mill. Is milling to slow going to create a finer crush? Nothing more frustrating than a stuck recirculation using a RIMS system.

Thanks everyone. :cheers: