Malfunction Junction

When I went to take a hydrometer sample, I found I had a crack in the base of my two-piece (i.e. screw-on base) hydrometer tube. Poured the sample in and it ran out the base in a 1/8 inch stream.

Back to the LHBS for another. Has anyone else encountered this problem or am I the only unlucky guy in the brewing universe?

I hate hydrometers and thermometers. I can’t manage to keep either one for long before I either break them or they stop working.

(For the tube though I just drop the hydrometer right into the thief, or else I have a graduated cylinder somewhere around the house.)

I tried this a couple times and found it quite error prone due to the hydrometer sticking to the side of the thief all the time. Of course I haven’t even touched my hydrometer since buying a refractometer.

Not kidding when I say that I’ve gone through 6-8 hydro bases… They hate me and I hate them and that’s that.

I tried this a couple times and found it quite error prone due to the hydrometer sticking to the side of the thief all the time. Of course I haven’t even touched my hydrometer since buying a refractometer.[/quote]

Mine does that too but I poke it around a bit and get a reading. I’m just looking for a rough reading to see if it’s close to done, and I usually want to get a taste too which is why I’m using the thief.

I do use my refractometer for the final reading which goes into my notes.

I am right in the middle of an experiment on whether hydrometers are the best way to get your readings. Two more batches and I will post my results.

Purchase a glass graduated cylinder. That will last at least until you drop it.

You using precision hydrometers in your experiment? I’ve tried every option available (including digital refractometers), and I keep going back to my precision hydros for nearly all gravity measurements.

You using precision hydrometers in your experiment? I’ve tried every option available (including digital refractometers), and I keep going back to my precision hydros for nearly all gravity measurements.[/quote]
I did not and that is a good point but I’m not sure how much more accurate they would be. I wanted to know if hydrometers are more accurate than refractometers that actually would impact calculations.

You can get really accurate hydrometers. The problem is they are not cheap and they are really easy to break. (And I’ve worked in labs a lot and know hot to be careful with glassware, but I still break them.)

You using precision hydrometers in your experiment? I’ve tried every option available (including digital refractometers), and I keep going back to my precision hydros for nearly all gravity measurements.[/quote]
I did not and that is a good point but I’m not sure how much more accurate they would be. I wanted to know if hydrometers are more accurate than refractometers.[/quote]
In addition to correcting for sample temp and “calibration,” the biggest issue with using a hydro is the difficulty of getting an accurate reading, because of the .2 scale and the meniscus that forms during submersion in the sample. The scale on precision hydros is narrower (.1) and larger, making it much easier to get an accurate reading (i.e., minimizing the human error element).

I see a lot of sites that say “Lab Grade” hydrometers and they are only a few dollars more than the standard ones. That makes me skeptical. If a regular hydrometer reads 1.010 and a lab grade reads 1.012 then IMHO there is no reasonable difference. If it’s 5 points then there would be concern. I will say that lab hydrometers are much easier to read. With that said, with the numbers I am getting it’s not looking good for hydrometers in general.

I don’t remember the numbers, but I found that all 3 of my standard hydros were significantly off calibration. My precision hydros are all spot on.

I see a lot of sites that say “Lab Grade” hydrometers and they are only a few dollars more than the standard ones. That makes me skeptical. If a regular hydrometer reads 1.010 and a lab grade reads 1.012 then IMHO there is no reasonable difference. If it’s 5 points then there would be concern. I will say that lab hydrometers are much easier to read. With that said, with the numbers I am getting it’s not looking good for hydrometers in general.[/quote]

I was getting them from a scientific supply house. I could get some free samples from my account rep but they would generally go for about $60 I think.

There were two big differences I noticed:

1. You can get them in the scale you want so they are much easier to read
  2. Most of them read correctly in distilled water

Thing is I kept breaking them and didn’t want to abuse my poor account reps goodwill.

Please share your results when you’re done. I already use my refractometer for my final reading, but it will be nice to know if it’s at least as accurate (hopefully much better) as using the typical brewing quality hydrometer.

Holy hydrometer Batman!

I just visited the site where I bought my precision hydros, and see they’re on sale for $15 for a set of 3 (normally $50). I’m going to order backups!

Sorry, not posting the link out of respect for our host.

Thanks for the tip on the hydrometer set for $15. I found it and ordered them.