Making A Brew Sculpture

So I’ve come across the opportunity to acquire some server furniture. I work with computers and this is server room rack equipment. It’s VERY sturdy and fairly adjustable.
A co-worker was going to take it but has decided against it so I am able to get this for free, and it cost about $3,000 new. So who am I to turn it down?

So I’m thinking about making a tiered system to brew, I’m a little tired of lifting and making sure I have everything on brew day in one place.
I want to avoid pumps and just use gravity. I will probably be putting some serious wheels on it, due to the sheer weight of the frame work.

So, anybody got any tips, tricks, advice, etc?

I’m super excited about this, it’ll be a big project but it’ll be one for the books!

Measure twice, cut once?

Seriously, nice score.

Start the sculpture from the bottom and go up. That way you know that your carboy/pail will fit under the boil pot.

Can the width be varied? If so, you could make 3 separate stands that could fit inside of each other for storage? Then bolt them together with some wing nuts and jumper braces on brew days.

Wheels to roll it around?

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Measure twice, cut once?

Seriously, nice score.

Start the sculpture from the bottom and go up. That way you know that your carboy/pail will fit under the boil pot.

Can the width be varied? If so, you could make 3 separate stands that could fit inside of each other for storage? Then bolt them together with some wing nuts and jumper braces on brew days.[/quote]

funny, I always thought it was measure once cut, measure again cut, Still too short. :cheers:

[quote=“timtim”]So I’ve come across the opportunity to acquire some server furniture. I work with computers and this is server room rack equipment. It’s VERY sturdy and fairly adjustable.
A co-worker was going to take it but has decided against it so I am able to get this for free, and it cost about $3,000 new. So who am I to turn it down?

So I’m thinking about making a tiered system to brew, I’m a little tired of lifting and making sure I have everything on brew day in one place.
I want to avoid pumps and just use gravity. I will probably be putting some serious wheels on it, due to the sheer weight of the frame work.

So, anybody got any tips, tricks, advice, etc?

I’m super excited about this, it’ll be a big project but it’ll be one for the books![/quote]
Be helpful if you had a picture.

is your system electric or propane?

Check out this site for some ideas:

http://www.brewzilla.nl/brewhalla.htm

I found researching some of the systems on that site instrumental in helping me design my sculpture.

I know you said you are wanting to avoid pumps, but they sure make life easier. Well worth the investment IMHO.

[quote=“Brewbeer22”]Check out this site for some ideas:

http://www.brewzilla.nl/brewhalla.htm

I found researching some of the systems on that site instrumental in helping me design my sculpture.[/quote]

Some neat setups there!

I just made a gravity system myself. I started by looking at lots of pics to get general ideas. Then I had to take into account what equipment I had and how it would fit together. Then, as someone mentioned, I started from the ground up to figure out elevations. My pail sits on the ground and everything is at the right height from there. I had to build things up in some cases.

I wanted to avoid pumps, as you mentioned, but after using my system a dozen times or so, I’m ready to get some pumps involved and maybe rework it. Even so, what I have is a vast improvement from what I was doing!

[quote=“timtim”]So, anybody got any tips, tricks, advice, etc?[/quote]No true homebrewery is complete without a catwalk:
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59548&hili

PS. One of the greatest threads ever on this forum - it might even have a contribution from seesawmcgraw buried somewhere in the 17 pages…

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“timtim”]So, anybody got any tips, tricks, advice, etc?[/quote]No true homebrewery is complete without a catwalk:
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59548&hili

PS. One of the greatest threads ever on this forum - it might even have a contribution from seesawmcgraw buried somewhere in the 17 pages…[/quote]

Now I must sleep. :blah:

Good financial advise, Shadetree. We’re almost to no debt aside from monthly bills. Credit cards are gone. :cheers:

Lots of great ideas, thanks guys.

I’ll know more once I get it at my house. The weather has been horrendous this last week or so, we’ve got about 250 inches of snow this year.

I am thinking of building just grabity, but maybe have the space, and there will be, for the pumps.