Making a blow off valve from 3-piece airlock

I’m having some hardcore, airlock blowing ,fermentation going on and was thinking about removing the bell from my airlock and attaching a 1" tube to the end to be used as a blow-off tube. Would any 1" tubing work ? For instance from wally world or Home depot.

that should work. I’d just bring in the airlock to where ever you are buying the tubing to make sure that it fits snug. I like these airlocks specifically because I’m able to do this if I need to.

+1

I also remove the cross piece of plastic on the bottom of the airlock to reduce the chances that the airlock gets clogged.

Thick-wall 1/2" OD hose will go over the post with a warm water soak and a spray of Starsan for lubricant. And then it won’t come off without cutting it.

+1 to this. I do this along with cutting the cross off of the tip of the airlock to keep it from clogging. Every once in a while after fermentation, I’ll be able to run really hot water over tubing and manage to get the tubing off the airlock, but it’s rare.

Try Tractor Supply they have the milk house hose which is sanitary and fits like a glove.

[quote=“Brewbeer22”]+1

I also remove the cross piece of plastic on the bottom of the airlock to reduce the chances that the airlock gets clogged.[/quote]

This is absolutely important! I forgot to do this with an imperial stout and it tried to kill me. :slight_smile:

Not for the squeemish.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108454
:oops:

Thanks for the great replies and very useful information. Thanks goodness I had a tractor supply just right up the road !