Magic Hat #9

I’m trying to clone a #9. I haven’t jumped into the all grain world yet, so right now I’m sticking with extract. I was hoping someone out there has a recipe? I’ve found a few, but they all have varying hops and malt extracts and apricot puree ideas. Any input would help

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you ... -a-175571/

Why would you want to clone such a terrible beer :wink:

Amen to that. I’ve never understood what the big deal is about that one. For that matter, I’ve never had a single beer from that brewery that I was especially impressed with. That one is all about clever marketing and hype, as far as I’m concerned. I really don’t understand why they’re even still around with all the other breweries on the scene nowadays whose products beat the living crap out of theirs.

Amen to that. I’ve never understood what the big deal is about that one. For that matter, I’ve never had a single beer from that brewery that I was especially impressed with. That one is all about clever marketing and hype, as far as I’m concerned. I really don’t understand why they’re even still around with all the other breweries on the scene nowadays whose products beat the living crap out of theirs.[/quote]

+1

Would it be worth it to do a yeast starter with this extract recipe?

I am going to go extract and use WL002. Should I make a starter? The OG should be around 1.057, FG 1.014.

Thanks

Yes

Use apricot extract not puree. Also #9 sometimes has a fair amount of diacetyl.

I wonder if dried apricots would be good?

If he truly wants to clone #9, he needs to use apricot puree. :mrgreen:

If he enjoys drinking it, he should brew it!

Let us know how it turns out…

Ive done some research and ive decided im going to do no9 as my summer brew as my first all grain batch. However ive created this recipe for a sam adams cherry wheat clone and i was hoping you guys could coach me for a partial mash:

Comments greatly appreciated

1.5lbs American 2Row
2lbs American Wheat
1lb German Munich
5lbs Wheat LME
1oz Hallertau @ 60min
1oz Tettnager @ 15min
.5oz Hallertau @ 1min
Cherry Extract for flavoring
OG should be 1060
FG should be 1015
ABV 5.8%
14.30 IBU

That one I just can’t help you on…gotta draw the line somewhere :mrgreen:

LOL!

ok ok. In all seriousness I think that recipe looks good as is. Do you need coaching on how to partial mash, or just the recipe itself?

For fruit additions, some say it is helpful to use a combination of the actual fruit and extract, since the latter has a…well, extract-y taste. Thaw ~5lbs of frozen cherries (1#/gallon) and puree them, or better yet, use the Oregon puree, add it to the fermenter when fermentation has slowed. I would recommend adding the puree in a clean sanitized paint strainer bag, as the pulp will make racking it a real b1tch. If you live in a cold climate, consider cold crashing the whole thing after the fruit ferment has finished to precipitate out some of the gunk, after removing the paint strainer bag with the majority of the gunk. If there still isnt enough cherry character, add some extract at bottling. IME cherry extract tastes like cough syrup, but it might be ok if its just rounding out the cherry flavor. YMMV.

See, I think #9 has an extract-y flavor. Since apricots are so light colored, it’s hard to know for sure, but all these fruit beers made up here in New England that are beer-colored are all made with extract. People try to clone Blue Point or Sea Dog blueberry and use puree and wonder why there beer comes out PURPLE!

If someone knows for SURE that Magic Hat uses puree, then use puree. If we’re just guessing, then I’d put money on extract.

Same goes for Sam Adams Cherry wheat. Beers made with real Cherries are pink.

[quote=“Pietro”]ok ok. In all seriousness I think that recipe looks good as is. Do you need coaching on how to partial mash, or just the recipe itself?

For fruit additions, some say it is helpful to use a combination of the actual fruit and extract, since the latter has a…well, extract-y taste. Thaw ~5lbs of frozen cherries (1#/gallon) and puree them, or better yet, use the Oregon puree, add it to the fermenter when fermentation has slowed. I would recommend adding the puree in a clean sanitized paint strainer bag, as the pulp will make racking it a real b1tch. If you live in a cold climate, consider cold crashing the whole thing after the fruit ferment has finished to precipitate out some of the gunk, after removing the paint strainer bag with the majority of the gunk. If there still isnt enough cherry character, add some extract at bottling. IME cherry extract tastes like cough syrup, but it might be ok if its just rounding out the cherry flavor. YMMV.[/quote]

Thanks pietro, ironically thats my last name haha…ive never done a partial mash, eventually want to get into all grain but i just dont have time/equipment here at school. As for the puree ive read some horror stories about the puree with pink and red beer coming out. I know SA CW gets a bad rap, but if youve ever had one you know that its just a Wheat beer with a soft cherry kick at the end. I made this recipe myself so thats why im just curious and wanted some honest opinions thanks!

Paisan!

No worries, hope I could help. As far as the beer itself, there is no accounting for taste, so if you like it, brew that sucker up and forget what us insufferable pedants think. You’ll be surprised how easy partial mash is.

And also, I used to live in a <1000sqft rowhouse, so I kind of got into ‘gear minimized brewing’ and now just enjoy brewing that way as opposed to lugging out tons of gear. All you really need is a good sized kettle and a brew in a bag-bag, and you make EXCELLENT AG beer with little additional equipment. This guy made mine for about $30 shipped, all you do is send him kettle dimensions (www.bagbrewer.com). Have gotten about 30 brews out of it so far. The only reason I didn’t make one myself is I’m not the most confident of seamstresses (seamsters?). One thing I will mention is, invest in a good burner. My Blichmann was expensive, but I can knock out a beer in about 4 hours, from getting my stuff out to gear put away, me on the couch. Plus think how effing cool you will look to passersby at school.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115208&hilit=biab+endorsement

@ Wahoo, my comment about ‘if he wants to clone magic hat, he definitely needs to use extract’ was speaking to your point. My later comment was more just about how to get optimal results with a fruit beer. FWIW, Randy Mosher is of the opinion that apricots are one of the few fruits that work well in creating ‘clean’ fruit beers (ie not sours). :cheers:

[quote=“Pietro”]Paisan!

No worries, hope I could help. As far as the beer itself, there is no accounting for taste, so if you like it, brew that sucker up and forget what us insufferable pedants think. You’ll be surprised how easy partial mash is.

And also, I used to live in a <1000sqft rowhouse, so I kind of got into ‘gear minimized brewing’ and now just enjoy brewing that way as opposed to lugging out tons of gear. All you really need is a good sized kettle and a brew in a bag-bag, and you make EXCELLENT AG beer with little additional equipment. This guy made mine for about $30 shipped, all you do is send him kettle dimensions (http://www.bagbrewer.com). Have gotten about 30 brews out of it so far. The only reason I didn’t make one myself is I’m not the most confident of seamstresses (seamsters?). One thing I will mention is, invest in a good burner. My Blichmann was expensive, but I can knock out a beer in about 4 hours, from getting my stuff out to gear put away, me on the couch. Plus think how effing cool you will look to passersby at school.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115208&hilit=biab+endorsement

@ Wahoo, my comment about ‘if he wants to clone magic hat, he definitely needs to use extract’ was speaking to your point. My later comment was more just about how to get optimal results with a fruit beer. FWIW, Randy Mosher is of the opinion that apricots are one of the few fruits that work well in creating ‘clean’ fruit beers (ie not sours). :cheers: [/quote]

Pietro, thank you for all of the valuable information. I have the ability to get a a 32qt turkey fryer and propane stove for 35bucks. Is it worth it to do a full volume boil? Other than modify my hop additions is there anything else i should know?

Thanks

Someone gave me a case of magic hat bottles and ill say one thing their a snap to clean their labeles fall right off in warm water