Looking for ideas for a Piney IPA

I’m looking to brew as piney an IPA as I can. I don’t have a ton of experience with the hops most associated with pine flavors, so I need a little help.

I was thinking about doing a hop schedule something like this:

Magnum for bittering
.5 oz Chinook FWH
.5 Simcoe (10)
.25 Chinook (10)
.5 oz Simcoe (5)
.25 Chinook (5)
.5 oz Simcoe (0)
1 oz Simcoe (DH)
.5 Chinook (DH)

I would bitter with Columbus instead of Magnum and bump the DH to an ounce each of Columbus, Simcoe, and Chinook.

The Chinook is an excellent choice for piney aroma.

The Simcoe has a sweet tropical fruit / mango like aroma. You may want to substitute Ahtanum for this…Ahtanum is pretty sharp and piney.

My strategy would be to do most of the additions late…the proverbial ‘hopburst’ and do a small early addition to condition the pH and pick up just a few AAUs.

If you really want the pine…dry hop a lot heavier for about 5 days during secondary, package and drink fresh…as soon as its carbonated. The fresh, in-your-face, dry hop aroma will fade within a month or two but the flavor compounds are not as volatile and will hang in there.

I’ve always liked to dry hop with whole flowers…many brewers don’t observe any difference, but i think whole flowers add to the hop flavor.

Have fun…

You could just use the home-brew clone recipe released by Russian River.

The link to the recipe is here.
http://beerdujour.com/recipes/1pliny%20the%20elder%20clone%20pdf.pdf

I brewed this last year; it was very good.

I think that’s going to be plenty piney. Btw, swapping out the Mag won’t make it pinier. 60 minute hops don’t add much flavor, so why waste the piney hops there?

[quote=“BrewMU”]Btw, swapping out the Mag won’t make it pinier. 60 minute hops don’t add much flavor, so why waste the piney hops there?[/quote]Waste them? There’s so much Columbus out there that I was looking at 44# bags of 2011 crop at less than $5 a lb. For a piney, dank IPA, I want a bracing bitterness with bite, not going to get that from Magnum.

I would use a bigger flameout addition and a 30 min “hop stand/whirlpool” before chilling.

Ok, I’ve upped the dry hops to an ounce each of Simcoe and Chinook and increased the late additions a bit. Is there any reason to add actual pine to the batch, maybe juniper berries or pine needles? Anybody have good results doing this or is it unnecessary? Thanks.

I have had a number of beers that have done this, and every one has been revolting and not at all IPA-like.

I have had a number of beers that have done this, and every one has been revolting and not at all IPA-like.[/quote]

+1 Not a fan of spruce or juniper.

Where? I just paid $9 for a lb.

[quote=“mrv”][quote=“Shadetree”]There’s so much Columbus out there that I was looking at 44# bags of 2011 crop at less than $5 a lb.[/quote]Where? I just paid $9 for a lb.[/quote]$5/lb was a pro source for 44# minimum and I couldn’t quite pre-sell that much, so I’m paying $6/lb for 11# bags from North Country Malt instead. Point is that Columbus is plentiful and cheap so there’s no reason to not use it as much as possible - it’s one of my favorite hops.