Long time no see…

Hey guys. Been a minute. Life has mostly been good. Hope you’re all well and good also!

I’m just dropping in to research making kombucha and thought I’d say hello.

5 Likes

Kambucha is something I’ve never made. I’ve had some that I enjoyed though @squeegeethree makes it I believe. Glad to hear from you @dannyboy58

2 Likes

Welcome back @dannyboy58 I have never made or even tasted kombucha. They say it is good for you though.

1 Like

WOW! Blast from the past! Good to hear from you…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Hiya @dannyboy58 I’ve made a lot of kombucha. I think the best intro level advice can be found on…
www.kombuchakamp.com
I use the continuous batch method, 1g Big Mouth, Bottling wand, swing top bottles, priming with fruit juice using NB priming calculator. It’s easier but not as predictable as beer. Once you figure out how many days of fermentation you like you need to be religious about it. I have a really nice liter of vinegar from a batch I left way too long.

2 Likes

Danny, dude. Miss u around here!

Re the kombucha….Very flavorful stuff….elicits strong reactions either way. Sublime vs liquid sauerkraut camps. … here is that earlier thread with a lot of information:

2 Likes

Miss interacting with all you guys! Good to see a few familiar names pop up!

squeegeethree, I started a 1g batch about 10 days ago. Smells like Kombucha. The scoby is on the bottom where it’s been since the beginning and there’s a light skim on the surface that looks similar to a young pellicle on beer. I haven’t tasted it yet and don’t have a pH meter here atm. Do you focus much on pH or just rely on your starter 'buch to get it in range?

Bottling is the part I never enjoyed with beer so I’m thinking for the moment I’ll transfer to qt mason jars for carbonation and storage. I’m thinking of getting a little vevor pressurized growler to carbgonate, store, and serve from. Anyone have experience with one?

https://www.homedepot.com/pep/VEVOR-169-oz-Pressurized-Growler-Portable-Stainless-Steel-Beer-Mini-Keg-with-Adjustable-Pressure-Regulator-for-Home-Silver-PJFPQ5L0000000001V0/320395871#overlay

2 Likes

I have one of those and it is perfect. Fits in my RV fridge and I take it to parties. I think it would be perfect. Ive stored beer in it long term. I fill it with carbonated beer but you can “bottle” condition in it. The little 16g cartridges will be enough for serving pressure. If you decide to get it I’ll fill you in on some tips. Mines 128oz

1 Like

That looks handy. Not a bad price also.
Sneezles61

1 Like

I have something similar from kegworks and I’ve filled it with my beer and (some/most) local breweries will fill it too. Did that a lot during the early days of the pandemic.

1 Like